WSM Cart

Eric G

TVWBB Fan
Hey guys,

I have been kicking around the idea of constructing a WSM cart for awhile. Well I just loved the look of that dual WSM cart and wanted something similar. Well I picked up an old Gas grill cart tore it down and I have stated my planning. I just want to run a 2 things by you, see what you thought.

I was going to make sides a type of an enclosure on the 2 sides and rear of cart. I was planning on running some composite decking horizontally to create somewhat of a windscreen. The other question is the floor. Do I just go with 3/4" PT plywood? Or do I try to find some diamond plate and use that?

Eric,

For the floor may I suggest something alone the lines of backerboard(sp)/ cement board and just place some cheap tile on top if you choose. A loose coal and plywood would give me pause. I have placed a piece of cement board in a lit chimney to see what it would do and it did not catch fire. Good luck with your project.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

Personally, I would not set the WSM on a solid covered floor just for the reason of air flow. With all the doors shut and with some air holes punctured in the bottom I would have concern with enough air getting to the smoker. My cart bottom is completely open . The legs sit on supports around the edges.

To your point paul, I have a 1/4 inch holes drilled in several places in the floor. The entire counter is also 1/4 inch off the ground. Also gives water a way to escape when it rains. Air flow is no problem.

Gary

I used 3/4 plywood for the floor, but would recommend something fireproof on top of it (yes, backer board or tiles).

Airflow - You guys, do you know how difficult it would be to build cart that is completely AIR-TIGHT? It would be almost impossible even if you caulked everything to put your fire out. Airflow is NOT an issue with these carts. I have gaps in between each piece of cedar (probably that a piece of paper would barely slide through), between the bottom ply, and about a 1" gap around the top ring that allows for plenty of airflow.

Worse case scenario, leave the door open while smoking. I leave mine shut at all times and it runs hot if anything. It gets plenty of air. I would do nothing (no vents or holes) to your verticle planks or siding because it could allow for water to enter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Allen:

Airflow - You guys, do you know how difficult it would be to build cart that is completely AIR-TIGHT? It would be almost impossible even if you caulked everything to put your fire out. Airflow is NOT an issue with these carts. I have gaps in between each piece of cedar (probably that a piece of paper would barely slide through), between the bottom ply, and about a 1" gap around the top ring that allows for plenty of airflow.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No doubt. On top of that you would have to seal the counter top around the middle section of the WSM. Great wind break tough!
icon_wink.gif

Gary

Back