charcoal

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi
I have a question concerning charcoal from what i have read across the net at different site they are saying that kingsford charcoal is no good that it is awfully dirty and has alot of additive that is bad for you.but i have read on this site that it is just about all your guys recommend. In my town i have a choose of wal-mart brand or kingsford. I was told to buy wal-mart brand because kingsford was no good.could you set me straight on this.I'am starting to get a headache over this thank

Joe,

Kingsford is the BEST charcoal on the planet!!!! Usually the complaints you hear are from the purists who burn either lump or wood. Many people have complained about a bitter "off" taste.....IMO..PURE BS!!!!!

I have used about every brand of charcoal available...Kingsford continues to be the most consistent performer. My Kingsford allows me to get 9+hours of cooking on 1 batch of charcoal...no other charcoal even comes close!!

Now, the best price you can get is usually at Sam's Club, where they sell the twin bags of 24 pounds each.....But, I don't care what I have to pay for it..I use it all the time!

Stogie

I started out using Kingsford, then switched to Nature-Glo hardwood charcoal briquets when it was available at Walmart back in 1997-98. Nature-Glo worked well, and I liked the fact that it was 100% hardwood with few additives, but Walmart stopped carrying it.

When I ran out of Nature-Glo I switched back to Kingsford. I was amazed at how much hotter and longer it burned than Nature-Glo. I've now been using Kingsford exclusively for a couple of years now, and I'm very pleased with it.

Many competition BBQ teams use Kingsford in their WSMs and win big-time, so I wouldn't worry too much about ingredients, additives, etc. It's a product that just flat out works well.

Here's what I look for in a good charcoal:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>hot burning

<LI>long lasting

<LI>consistent heat

<LI>consistent product quality

<LI>readily available

<LI>inexpensive

[/list]

I think Kingsford best meets these criteria, especially since you can buy the twin 24lb packs at Costco/Sam's Club for around $10.50.

However, there are certainly many good products out there, and your criteria may be different than mine. Bottom line: find a product you like and feel comfortable using, then stick with it.

Regards,
Chris

I have to agree with Kevin and Chris, as I think ?Kingsford? is my ?pick of the litter.? I have used just about all the rest, and now I don?t use anything but Kingsford. It burns hot and clean and a long time.

On a full load in my WSM, I know I can go 14 hours and I think I can go 16 without a temperature drop. When I can do that, I am happy.

I have never experienced any of the bad things you hear about Kingsford.

On every visit to the ?Two Hundred Dollar Club? (COSTCO), I pick up at least two of the double packs of Kingsford.

Like Chris said, try different brands and find one that works for you.

Take care.

When I first posted the fire up method for
the WSM one of the big questions was, using Kingsford how would effect taste when you weren't lighting off all the charcoal with it turning gray before starting the cook.
I think the answer is that it doesn't adversly effect the flavor of the food.
My competition team has taken many first places and a couple of Grand Champs using Kingsford.
Cook with different charcoals and learn how they cook, use that info to adjust conditions to your achive your desired results.
Lump is great for higher temp cooks that require shorter cooking times, Wally World
charcoal cooks at lower temps than Kingsford and leaves more ash, for a long 225-250*
cook Kingsford is a very good product.
Don't use any lighter fuilds or instant light charcoal and you should do fine.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back