Finally Brave enough to post it!

I've been reading all the different mod discussions since May and am finally brave enough to show mine. Thanks to multiple users for their ideas; Don Marcos WSM de Luxe mod was a design I really liked and this is what I came up with:

Mod Pic One

Mod Pic Two

The handles idea came from Brian Moriarty - Genie Universal Garage Door handles # DLH-BP - and the idea of how to mount the table to the WSM. This is a very slick idea... thanks Brian!

I realize I'm a minority choosing to use gas but it allows me to use the WSM more. My buddy has the Kenmore Vertical Gas Smoker; we put some shoulders on at 5AM and went fishing until 11AM. He checked the water pan, put another chunk of wood in the box and we were back out on the lake the remainder of the day. He said he'll leave for work and not worry about it... I knew right than I needed to make the gas mod.
The Afterburner models I researched seemed a little expensive in my opinion so I bought a 12,000 BTU El Cheapo Deluxe portable gas grill from Lowe's and stripped the burner & regulator from it. I surrounded the burner with lava rocks since it called for it in the El Cheapo configuration. I'm using an 8" Round Duct cap for the smoker box and lay it on top of the burner and lava rocks. The burner is mounted to the charcoal grate with the hardware that was included with the El Cheapo grill... basically it's two large round washers and screws that come in underneath and screw directly into the burner.

Gas Mod One

Gas Mod Two

I'm hoping to find or make a drawer face to cover the wood basket but haven't bothered since it doesn't effect performance. I'm thinking it'd be nice to have a Weber logo plate, like the one on my Summit, mounted on the front of the drawer face.

Very nice! One question: if the WSM is empty and the wood basket is full, does it tend to tip if you slide the basket out?

The mods look great Bud.
icon_cool.gif
Do you wax that thing?
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry D.:
Very nice! One question: if the WSM is empty and the wood basket is full, does it tend to tip if you slide the basket out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tipping did happen at first! I fixed by having the table mount under the lip of the mid section instead of flush with the lip. The lip now holds the table firmly in place. I also beefed up the size of the carriage bolts which eliminated any wiggle.
I had to put a stopper bolt on the slider too... otherwise the basket rolls on out! Only took once to learn that mistake!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
The mods look great Bud.
icon_cool.gif
Do you wax that thing?
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif
I am kind of a clean freak so I try to keep her looking good! No wax though... just bacon grease!

Sweet mods! I have also been thinking of the (gasp!) gas mod... maybe on the next WSM. Love the table and wood bin. Gets me thinkin of my next mod... hmmm! Thanks for the pics and nice job!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Burrus:
I have also been thinking of the (gasp!) gas mod... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I cook over lump but there's nothing wrong with using gas. Use what works best for you and you situation. It's all good in my book as long as you're cooking.
icon_wink.gif
Just as long as you're not using Kingsford, I'm Ok with it.
icon_biggrin.gif
I crack me up. Sorry too many beers in me.
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
I cook over lump but there's nothing wrong with using gas. Use what works best for you and you situation. It's all good in my book as long as you're cooking.
icon_wink.gif
Just as long as you're not using Kingsford, I'm Ok with it.
icon_biggrin.gif
I crack me up. Sorry too many beers in me.
icon_rolleyes.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, I agree... you DO crack you up!
icon_wink.gif
I smoked a round tip roast beef (cap off) tonight over lump and it was just amazing. I can only assume that gas is as clean as lump and a little less trouble (certainly easier to find in stores...)

Looks great, I love it!

Really interested in pics and details on the gas mod itself.

I don't think I could give up my charcoal powered wsm, but I could definitely think about doing this mod on a cheap, second hand, CL wsm, if I ever find one (hopefully with the release of the new 2009 models, CL will get some wsm action in my town).

Todd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd Randall:
Looks great, I love it!

Really interested in pics and details on the gas mod itself.

I don't think I could give up my charcoal powered wsm, but I could definitely think about doing this mod on a cheap, second hand, CL wsm, if I ever find one (hopefully with the release of the new 2009 models, CL will get some wsm action in my town).

Todd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gas Modification pix are now up. Thanks Todd.

Nice.

How hard would it be to hook a thermostat up to that now? I mean, if you are gonna go gas, you might as well have the thing turn itself on and off (or higher and lower) to hold a certain temp for you automatically too?

Todd

Very nice mods. When I first saw the pic (I cheated and looked before reading the whole post), I thought the gas was just for lighting charcoal....I was wrong, but that would be a pretty slick feature...hmmm....

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd Randall:
Nice.

How hard would it be to hook a thermostat up to that now? I mean, if you are gonna go gas, you might as well have the thing turn itself on and off (or higher and lower) to hold a certain temp for you automatically too?

Todd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I hadn't thought of that one yet! It's been running pretty steady so far. I've been doing a smokers log noting outdoor temp, wind, mid and top temps, etc and it has helped with the guess work.

One concern is that I can't get below 225 when outdoor temps raise to mid seventies and sun is beating down with no winds. I'm wondering if 10K BTU burner may be better than 12K in there now?
I ran gas at medium this past weekend to hit 225 with outdoor temp at 39 and no wind. By noon outdoor temps hit low 70's and I backed down to low gas.

It's a learning process I guess. The thermostat is an interesting idea. Thanks.

Awesome mods. I love the table. Although I don't understand why you need a gas mod when the WSM will run for several hours on lump coal with little to no adjustments. I just got 17+ hours out of one ring of lump this past weekend. I only shut it down because I was out of stuff to smoke. I would rather leave coals burning in a contained unit than a tank of LPG burning unattended. Great mods though, what works for you and makes you happy I'm all for.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Branon S.:
Awesome mods. I love the table. Although I don't understand why you need a gas mod when the WSM will run for several hours on lump coal with little to no adjustments. I just got 17+ hours out of one ring of lump this past weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Brandon. Unfortunately the task of producing consistent temps has left this smoker frustrated enough to make such drastic mods! I wasn't having any fun with my current WSM and started looking at its use as a chore instead of a joy.

I'll use the new 22" to master the skill with charcoal. Maybe a new unit will help... that's what I'm telling my wife anyway!

Nice job on the table MP.
I couldn't tell from the pic what type of metal your duct cap is.
But pretty much all residential HVAC ducts,pipes, and fittings are made with galvanized steel.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
Nice job on the table MP.
I couldn't tell from the pic what type of metal your duct cap is.
But pretty much all residential HVAC ducts,pipes, and fittings are made with galvanized steel.

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the exact same thought.
In fact, I made a trip to a few hardware stores looking for an Aluminum duct cap, without success. (I wanted to try the cap as a charcoal burning chamber for low temp jerky smoking).

Theoretically, one might burn off much of the Zinc by heating the dickens out of the metal for a long time. After that it might be safer to use.

Back