Recommend a Good GE Dishwasher / Recall

Ron G.

TVWBB Wizard
Just found-out about the Recall that GE had on some of their dishwashers (between about 1999 & 2003).

If you have a GE from that time frame - check out the recall online. Ours was starting to melt - they have a problem with wiring inside the door getting corroded by a slow leak from the internal rinse-aid tank.

If I buy another GE, I can get a $150 or $300 rebate - depending upon the model that we get. Although I am weighing the options of going with a different make.

Don't want to spend too much, but don't want to go too cheap either - don't need a bunch of fancy controls / modes / timers. Just want a good unit with high capacity that gets stuff clean.

From what I've seen, I'm partial to the "tall-tub" types, with the separate bottom, top, & mid-level sprayers. (The single sprayer & "tower" that comes-up the middle sucks-up too much space.)

Your thoughts??

My step mom is the service manager for the largest kitchen appliance manager north of Sacramento, here in CA. I always ask her whats good and whats junk, because she has a dozen or more employees our servicing all the ones that are sold. There are a few that she has said are absolute junk (even expensive ones) and constantly break down.

(Edited to remove email address. )

I can call her today, and get a few opinions based on the criteria you posted, and have that available for you if you'd like.

I've had a few people ask for more recommendations about this, so I figured I'd just post what little info I have on here. Take note, I couldn't get very specific model numbers from her, since time was short, and we were both busy working. She has nothing to do with the sales department, and no interest in recommending one brand over another, financially. But she does know which makers make the most dependable units, and which manufactures actually have a solid warranty, who wont jerk you around if a problem occurs.

So as far as specific recommendations (model #'s) I can't say. There are too many factors to take into account that weren't present when I asked her. Of course, things like specific budget, function requirements, style, etc, all play a big roll in what you choose.

With that, here is what she told me.

Her recommendations were to avoid any GE low end products ( junk). For tall tub styles, she said the best bang for the buck when it comes to a company that stands behind their product with a solid warrenty, and wont jerk you around is Kitchen Aid.

She also highly recommends a Bosch. They are a bit more expensive, but work amazingly well. We have one in my dad and step moms house that has ran flawlessly for 8 years now, silent as can be due to the fact that they literally use asphalt to fill the door and walls of the unit, insulating the sound. We completely demo'd and rebuilt their kitchen together back in 2000, from the bare wall studs up. She said that even a cheap low end Bosch is better than a mid range Kitchen Aid. The only other one she would recommend would be a Whirlpool.

I know as far as the Bosch goes, we literally put the plates and utensils in the dishwasher completely unwashed, barely scraping just the large food chunks off into the trash, and they come out sparkling clean each time. I think it has its own built in disposal unit to clear out all the large chunks of food that remains.

She also commented that all the companys that are making those sweet looking drawer style (upper and lower) type dishwashers, haven't worked out all the bugs inherrent in the design yet, and are still to apt to break down and need frequent servicing.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I will second the vote for the Bosch. The dishwasher installed by the builder was a Whirlpool that didn't even last 3 years. We've been very happy with the Bosch we replaced it with. Definitely quieter, and doesn't use a heater coil in the bottom of the unit, so you can wash things like your tupperware in the bottom rack.

Got our replacement unit.

My Dad retired from an Appliance & Video shop about 2 years ago. Talked to his buddies, & got us a GLD6700N (White, ends with WW) to replace it for about 400 pics of G. Washington.

It's nothing too fancy, but seems to do a nice job, plus, we'll get the $150 rebate. It's much better than the "cheapo" that it is replacing.

BTW - if any of you decide to replace your dishwasher, be sure to save the brass elbow fitting, where your water line connects to your old DW. The new ones usually do not come with this little fitting, and you don't want to burn 5 bucks worth of gas for a 3-buck part..
icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Todd D.:
I will second the vote for the Bosch. The dishwasher installed by the builder was a Whirlpool that didn't even last 3 years. We've been very happy with the Bosch we replaced it with. Definitely quieter, and doesn't use a heater coil in the bottom of the unit, so you can wash things like your tupperware in the bottom rack.
I'm suprised by this. We bought a Whirlpool Gold in our last house, no problems, we bought another Whirlpool Gold (stainless tall tub) in this house around 6 years ago. We run it nearly every day, twice some days. It's reasonably quiet (not as quiet as my mom's Bosch), my only complaint is the noisy door springs when opening and closing.

We also just bought a Whirlpool Gold within the last 6 months and it has been working flawlessly. It is extremely quiet, compared to my old one, but it is quiet and does a great job washing the dishes.

Adjustable racks, removable, door mounted silverware basket. Recommended.

I had a Kitchen Aid that lasted for 14 years, and replaced it two years ago with a new Kitchen Aid - very happy with it. Very quiet and it was recommended by the service folks that I deal with.

BTW, just replaced a 14 year old refrigerator / freezer with a new Whirlpool. Service man that came to look at repairing the old one said to stay away from any GE product. They are having a lot of problems with GE, particularly new models. He also told me that Whirlpool / Maytag (same company) sends all their new products to Sears as "Kenmore" and they work out any kinks there without the public hearing of any problems. Any truth to that Clay? (Clay Jackson is the Maytag Man!!!)

Ray

Ge doesn't make good dishwashers. Don't get one just because you have that rebate; it's not worth it.

Get a Bosch. They clean well and they are so incredibly quiet you don't even know they are running.

Interesting how perceptions differ. I put in a GE Profile in our last house and we loved it. It was fairly quiet, did a great job cleaning everything and easily held all our dishes. I think I paid about $350 for it new.

The new house has a fancy Kitchen Aid that the previous owner paid $1200 for. We hate it. We have to examine each dish/bowl after cleaning to see if it is really clean. It runs for a really long time on each clean cycle. In addition, the layout just doesn't seem as nice as our old GE. It never seems to have room to fit all our dishes/stuff like the GE one. If we weren't still trying to decide on our kitchen remodeling plans I would have already replaced it with another GE Profile.

I've got one of these:

http://www.geappliances.com/products/introductions/dish...ers/feature_gallery/

The Ge Profile with the food disposal built in. You can fill it up without even rinsing your plates and you only have to add detergent once or twice a month.

It looks pretty good. It can also do one rack versus the whole dishwasher for small efficient loads.

046646.jpg

It has a sensor to detect how dirty the water is and adjusts cleaning time from there. It also has a sensor to detect when you put a new dish in mid-cycle and adjusts.

Whatsamatter, Clay? The Maytag Repairman still has some extra time on his hands and is visiting TVWB? Good to hear from you!
icon_smile.gif

Rita

Back