Gal's cheater slaw

Randy Parr

TVWBB Super Fan
Okay...I'm guilty...I use the prepackaged coleslaw mix in the supermarket. I'm a firm believer that if they do it as good as I do, let them do it! I like the tricolor slaw that I've seen lately. My only critic is a friend from NC who says they like their slaw cut thicker...but he took seconds anyway...
This recipe couldn't be easier...done in less than 5 minutes, it's better if left overnight to "cook", and gets better with each passing day.
Great for large parties as it doubles and triples with ease.

Gal's Cheater Slaw

1 package prepared slaw mix
1 Cup Mayo
1/4 Cup Milk
1 Tablespoon sugar
3 Tablespoons white vinegar
1-1/2 Teaspoons celery seed
Fresh ground black pepper to taste

Whisk together the dressing ingredients, toss in the slaw (I find using my hands does a better job of coating the slaw). Cover the surface of the slaw with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour, preferably overnight.
This can be made up to 3 days in advance, as I've found the flavor peaks on day 3.
As an added note: I grind the celery seed between my fingers to release more of the oils and flavor.

Enjoy!

Nothing wrong with pre-packaged slaw. At least you know you have the exact quantity you need to match your recipe every time.

If using pre-packaged slaw is a crime...then lock me up, 'cause I'm guilty, too.

I'm not a big fan of cabbage slaw. Instead, I buy the brocolli slaw. Mix it with raisins and ranch salad dressing. Yum.
sam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm not a big fan of cabbage slaw. Instead, I buy the brocolli slaw. Mix it with raisins and ranch salad dressing. Yum. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sam,

Hmmm...this dressing would go really well with raisins and maybe...some chopped pecans
or currents and walnuts...
How weird would it be if I soaked the raisins or currents in kirsh first....?
Hmmm...

I've tried the brocolli slaw mix with Gal's slaw dressing recipe, and it's great, too. But, all things considered, the cabbage mix wins for me. After all, real slaw is cabbage-based, no?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>After all, real slaw is cabbage-based, no? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Doug,

I think in die-hard Q country, substituting cabbage and calling it slaw is cause for justified lynching... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Here's one for you-- haven't figured out the proportions yet, but maybe Ms. Parr can take up the challenge. Using the same dressing for the sugar-free sweet creamy slaw-- apply it to a mixture of finely chopped broccoli and red onion, mixed with raisins, and coarsely grated cheddar cheese.

Doug,

At a quick eyeball, I imagine a slaw mix to be about 4 cups, that being said (and I don't know if I'm right), I would substitute equal amounts of the brocoli/onion slaw mix, I wouldn't put in more than 1/4 cup raisins (and I would rehydrate them in a liquid to keep them from soaking up the vinegar flavor),1/4 cup of shredded or small dice cheese and combine with at least one cup of the dressing...whatcha think?
BTW...LOVED being addressed as Ms Parr /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Poured out into a bowl it looks more like about 6 cups, but that's quite a bit looser than when it's packed tight in the bag.

But for the purposes of the chopped broccoli florettes, I'd start with 4 cups, maybe a half cup of diced red onion, and a half cup of cheese. Raisins-- a third to a half cup-- and I think the mayo and Splenda would knock down the vinegar sufficently so as to not affect the raisins.

You'll have to try it out, as I don't eat raisins-- too high in sugar.

Last week I faced the dilemma...bagged pre-cut or buy the cabbage and throw it in the food processor. Since the pre-cut cost three times as much, I went for the cabbage, but I lost out on the mix of purple cabbage and carrots that was in the pre-bagged. Tough call, but if it's for a large amount of people I'm real price conscious (read cheap)!

Back