Last minute Turkey details

Roman

Two things: After picking up a Trader Joe's bird, I noticed it was brined with salt. I intend to use the Apple Brine from this site. My plan now is to thoroughly rinse the bird and brine as recipe is listed. Should I cut the salt in half and not wash bird and include the solution from the packaged bird then rinse later or just rinse and use apple brine as originally measured?

The other detail is to refrigerator dry for 24 hrs for skin to crispen, I've seen that some oil after air drying. Does that defeat the purpose of drying skin to crispen? Thanks

Like Chris says in the pinned thread at the top, many people have had good results brining a bird packaged in solution. BUT just think about that at Thanksgiving, there is likely a LOT of downside to screwing up this cook. So I'd lean on the risk averse side... rinse well, especially after the brine is over and cut the salt to where you feel comfortable.

Lots of opinions on crispy skin... I've found best results by most importantly separating the skin from the bird with your hands, then letting it air dry. I don't think a light oil dousing right before it goes in effects it that much either way.

If it's "pre-brined" I'd leave the salt out and only go flavor brine. Interested in what others like KK advise.

Back