Citric acid in rub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I came across a rub that calls for citric acid as one of its ingredients. What might its function be? A tenderizer? Flavor enhancer? A flavor?

Rita

As part of a rub? A flavor. It will add an acidic tang that will not be altered by cooking. The other flavor components of the rub will, of course, change as they mix with each other, the juices from the meats, and undergo cooking so the overall flavor will change as one would expect; however, the tang will not.

Great answer, Kevin. Thanks a lot. It's in one of John Willingham's rubs and it's great on chicken. I'll post it when I get a chance. I used Fruit Fresh the last time I made it. Where can I find citric acid? At the drugstore?

Rita

Pharmacies used to always carry it, canning supply departments or web sites, sites that cater to or have supplies for dehydrators--it is a natural preservative; it is also used to prevent browning of fruits (1 t/qt water) and to facillitate seed sprouting. Some vitamin stores or sites have it. You want food grade.

Sure is. Hadn't thought of 'sour salt' in years. I imagine King Arthur carries it as well since it is also used in baking--the first context to which I heard sour salt referred, many years ago.

Hmmmmm, interesting idea. Going back to my college and grad school chemistry it can serve as a preservative, but in this aspect I would think it owuld be more of a tenderizer. We use it anytime we add lemon juice or orange juice. I would prefer to use it from the source-lemon or orange which would add some good oils and complementary flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back