STOKER SOFTWARE QUESTION

John Winner

TVWBB Member
For some reason I lose a connection at least twice during a cook. I was wondering if Amir's software (which is great) could be modified to automatically try to reconnect with the Stoker?
I haven't done an "all nighter" yet as I know that it will lose connection at least once and the alarm will go off. With my luck (since I keep a .38 by my bed..just in case) I'll wake up and shoot the damn thing (or myself!) Any suggestions besides emtying the .38?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Winner:
For some reason I lose a connection at least twice during a cook. I was wondering if Amir's software (which is great) could be modified to automatically try to reconnect with the Stoker?
I haven't done an "all nighter" yet as I know that it will lose connection at least once and the alarm will go off. With my luck (since I keep a .38 by my bed..just in case) I'll wake up and shoot the damn thing (or myself!) Any suggestions besides emtying the .38? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen this happen on a laptop because of power saving mode and with a wireless gateway. Could either of these be the problem? I have also had this happen when I put the stoker on hold by turning the fan off from the stoker console. Other than these events, it it very stable, and they were caused by something other than the software.

Ken,
No, I don't have a laptop and there is nothing wrong with Amir's software (as far as I know). No matter whether it is my system or Amir's software is not the problem. I just wonder ...no matter what problem... can the software detect that it has lost a connection and "reboot" or reconnect as I believe that would solve some of the previously posted problems from the past. This may not be possible but, I do have software that when it can't get a response from the internet that it will continue to try to reconnect every 10 seconds. Just wondering if this is posssible with Amir's great software?
Thanks for your input.

That is a request which is on the TODO list
icon_smile.gif

I am not sure how much work it is. I supsect either it is dead easy or pain in the neck
icon_smile.gif
. I will give it a try soon and post.

For now, the source of the issue is your network. Are you using a wireless connection? If so, try stringing a long Ethernet cable to see if that works.

BTW, you can test all of this without cooking anything. Just start the stoker and have the program monitor it. That way, you won't find the urge to use the .38 if something goes wrong
icon_biggrin.gif

I kinda guessed tha it would be on your list "to do". I am running wireless which I am sure is the cause. I have run on a "hard-wire" with no problems but, I have not run it for a long time. I am sure it is the wireless that does this. It would be fantastic if you can figure a way to re-communicate and restore a connection. If your luck is as good as mine it will probably be very difficult to do. If it is really difficult you are more than welcome to borrow the .38
icon_biggrin.gif

my wireless connection went out a lot... Come to find out, the heat was affecting my wireless connection. Once I got me a long crossover cable from EBAy and put the wireless bridge inside, no more problems with the wireless. Nature affects everything and everyone.
icon_biggrin.gif

I have the same issue with heat. She works great until the temp hits about 90 then I start to lose connecting, "STOKER CONNECTION LOSS!" We heard it so much the other day that my 6 yo son started singing it. Amir, who's voice is that anyway, it's kind of a catchy little tune.

Thanks all,

Maybe it is the heat with my bridge even though I keep it in my covered lanai. If I have to run a wire inside for the bridge to stay cool, I might a well go with a direct hookup. I am sure as smart as Amir is he will figure out a way!
Thanks for the suggestions though.
icon_smile.gif

John,

IT's NOT A PROBLEM WITH THE SOFTWARE!!!!! The sunlight heat is what is affecting your wireless connection. By removing the wireless bridge from direct sunlight, you remove it from the heat and sun waves. I am a IT guy and I know for a fact that direct sun light coupled with the outside head will affect your wireless signals. Most of the consumer products on the market will tell you that sunlight/heat will have an impact on your connections. If you just put the wireless bridge inside in the cool, out of the heat, it will work fine. Also, use your bridge at night time and you will see that it will say connected all night long. Hence, no sunlight to worry with at night time.
icon_smile.gif

Hi Buster,

If you had read my previous posts you would have seen that I know it is not the software.
My bridge is kept in the shade on my covered lanai so there is no sunlight. As far as knowing about products that are subject to heat, I am well aware of this as I used to be an engineer at both a network T.V. Station and radio station (as well as hold an F.C.C. First Class Commercial (General Radiotelephone)with Ship Radar. Also an Extra Class Amateur Radio License. So I do know a little about wireless communication. Being retired, I really don't know too much about computer technology as that started a little after my time. I do know that it is not the software but, with the bridge in shade with a ceiling fan going and within 50 feet of the receiver in the house doesn't explain the disconnect. I think with Amir's help, maybe there is a way to have the software reconnect to a "lost" connection. Thank you for your input.

Back