Chimichurri

Jim Langford

TVWBB Fan
Webb Collings mentioned in one of his posts that he makes a Chimichurri sauce. I've had this delicious sauce in Argentine restaurants and also from a bottle and have thought I might try making it at home. I wonder what Webb or any of the rest of you who might be familiar with Chimichurri think of this basic recipe I've translated from an Argentine Web page. How does it compare with yours? Any suggestions on how it could be improved? I think I'd start by doubling the garlic. I think I've seen Spanish paprika used in other recipes.

To make a cup and a half:

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup wine vinegar
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp. finely chopped garlic
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper

Pour all of this into a glass jar and let sit for at least a few hours so the flavours can blend.

Mr Squeaky

Mr. Squeaky --

Thanks for posting the recipe. I always wondered what was in it. Now, do or did you use a white wine vinegar or red? Or, does it make a difference in the taste?

Thanks for the reply.

Heres a recipe from the foodtv web site. I haven't tried it yet but intend to real soon.

Chimichurri (Argentinian Steak
Sauce--Parsley Sauce for Meats)

Recipe courtesy Aaron Sanchez

1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2 jalapenos roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic
4 bay leaves
1/2 cup freshly chopped Italian parsley
1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
1/2 cup freshly chopped oregano
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
Flank Steak

In a blender, combine vinegar, jalapeno, garlic and bay leaves puree until smooth. Transfer to mixing bowl and add the herbs. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Set aside. Season the flank steak with olive oil, salt and pepper and grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium rare. Slice the steak thinly, across the grain on the bias and serve with the chimichurri sauce.

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes

This seems close to your recipe. I think there are many variations on this, kind of like salsa. Let me know how yours turns out.

Doug W.

Out of curiosity I went to one of my favorite
all-around cooking/equipment/recipe/everything site
chef2chef and typed "chimicurri" in the recipe search. Got 22 different recipes.
Check it out. Sounds like a good thing for the Kettle.

Walt,

I haven't tried the recipe yet. It doesn't specify red or white vinegar. I remember that the bottled sauce I buy lists grapefruit juice as one of the ingredients. I suppose the important thing is to get some acidity in there one way or another. Some recipes call for balsamic vinegar.

Doug,

Your recipe's addition of cilantro is an interesting twist. I've seen others that call for a bit of fresh basil.

Mr S.

Here is one from Jeff Lowe....

Chimichuri (Argentine Marinade)

1/2 teaspoon Saffron
1 tablespoon Lemon juice
1/2 cup Olive oil
1/2 cup White wine vinegar
1 small Onion(s), minced
2 clove(s) Garlic, crushed
1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon Thyme, dried
Salt and pepper to taste

PREPARATION:
Powder the safron threads and then steep in lemon juice for 20 minutes.
Combine all ingredients with whisk.

Marinate meat overnight. Good with shellfish and poultry.

This is what makes an Argentine asado(barbecue).

Back