Cherry Rub

Kevin Taylor

TVWBB All-Star
This is a very sweet rub. I think it is best on pork.

Kevi's Cherry Rub

1 cup Brown sugar
1/2 cup Cherry powder
1/8 cup Salt
1/8 cup Pepper
1 teaspoon Coriander powder
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg

PREPARATION:
Combine all.
Rub onto any pork product.
Let sit for several hours or overnight.

Stogie,

Sounds like a winner. I've heard about cherry rubs in the past and have been wanting to try one, but what is cherry powder?

Regards,

Jim L.

Hi Jim...

This whole thing started with a buddy giving me some "dried" cherries after the Holiday's. I decided to dry them out and then powderize them. I wanted something to compliment the cherry yogurt I was using.

It was a huge pain, but I guess worth it. You can use a dehydrator to dry them(I used the WSM) and then I used my burr grinder to powderize.

I have not seen this powder in any of the spice stores, so not sure where you can get it from.

I will be trying to duplicate this recipe using cherry Kool-aid. I am almost out of cherry powder and like it enough to experiment a little with the Kool-Aid.

Thanks Kevin for the recipe post. It does sound like a winner. However, I don't recall ever having to locate cherry powder before. Is it in the baking section of the grocery store?

Thanks again.

Oops.....guess I better read all the posts before asking the same questions. Sorry. The recipe got me excited!

Stogie, let us know how the cherry Kool-Aide version comes out, okay?

Kelly

Kevin,

I was up in Northern Michigan for the 4th and bought some dried red tart cherries from American Spoon Foods in Charlevoix (available on their site for $10.95/lb.). I imagine I could dry and powderize those, right?

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris!

That is exactly what I used. It was a real pain drying them, they took forever and then I had to let them sit for a couple of days.

I am starting to experiment with the Cherry Kool-Aid.

I'll let you know!

Hey Kevin...have you any results on the cherry kool-aid for your rub?

You might want to investigate this site>>http://www.fks.com/flavors/home.asp. They offer a course for flavorists at UMSL St. Louis. The name of the instructor is in the course summary. You might want to contact him.

I have done a search for "Cherry Flavor, Dry" --came up blank.

willg

Ken.....

I think I answered this question in another post, in case you missed it.......not a good idea! All the cherryh flavors I used were much too tart. Plus, I could never get over the feeling I was "eating" Kool-Aid! The family actually liked it on chikcen. One other thing I found out, once moisture comes in contact with the kool-aid, the meat turns a bright red!

Will.....

Thanks for the link. I am working with my local spice guy, who is very knowleadgable on these things. I will let everyone know what I find out.

In the meantime, I am using Mary's Cherry, which is a superb rub for my ribs.

Hi Stogie,

I'm new here. "Mary's Cherry", interesting name, what is it? Recipe or over the counter?

willg

Will, It'a an over the counter sweet rub. I use it for ribs. Very good, Bryan /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Back