Smoque's cheesy potatos

mike_rich

TVWBB Member
Hey Everyone,
I'm looking for a recipe for cheesy potatoes similar to the ones served at Smoque in Chicago. They're served in foil cups with several different kinds of cheese. Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Mike

Hey Mike,

Haven't been to Smoque yet, is it good? I have heard nothing but good things..We also don't go much farther then our backyard for bbq these days but it would be nice to try it. As far as the potatoes I assume they are Au Gratin's? Here is my go to recipe for homemade au gratin's..they are super easy and rediculously good! I always use just Sharp Cheddar but you could mix in a few different kinds, you might just need to mess around with it to taste..I also leave out the onion but that is up to you. One thing I do is add a little bit of chopped garlic while melting the butter before I add the flour and I bake unfoiled for an hour then turn on the broiler and broil for 5 - 10 minutes...

Ingredients

* 3-4 russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
* 1 onion, sliced into rings
* salt and pepper to taste
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups milk
* 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a 1 quart casserole dish.
2. Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds. Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
4. Bake 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven.

Cheers!

Thanks Tom, I'll give these a shot.
Smoque is my second best bbq joint in the city next to Smokey Bears at Foster and Kedzie. Smoque's cheesy potatos are better though.

Cool! Give it a shot, they are really good...you will never buy boxed au gratins again I promise...let me know what you think and if you tweak it at all (oh and I always cut the potatoes in half length wise before cut into 1/4 inch slices so the rounds aren't gignormous)

Cheers!

Back