In Honor of Turkey Talk 2011 Opening . . . Who's in?

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
I just took a 15.07 lb bird out of the freezer to smoke this weekend. Who else is with me for a turkey cook this weekend? Let's get a jump on the season guys!

Not sure if it's gonna be this weekend, but I'm not far behind you. I've got a bird in the deep freeze that needs to be barbecued.

Regards,
Chris

OK, so we're building some momentum here. Who else is in? Come on, you know you have turkey fever.

I'm up in the air on whether I'm doing mine Saturday or Sunday. I'll be JD and Maple Syrup brining of course.

First time bird on Sunday for Thanksgiving.

He will already have had his bath in apple brine. He'll then have an apple-cherry smoke while he's waiting for the rest of his guests.

Also coming to the party will be:

-ABT's
-Sweet Onion Dip
-Hot Apple Cider (although the temps are supposed to be in the mid '70's which is very unusual
-the usual Turkey friends and
-Whatever else I can think of

Hopefully will be doing a turkey on Monday .. Can't wait. Len, I hear you on the oddball temperatures ... 40's this morning and should be 70's by tomorrow ...

Well since it's Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada of course I'm having friends over and barbecuing a brisket.
icon_smile.gif

Got my bird brining in a JD and Maple Syrup bath. Smells like what Heaven must smell like.

Last year I did apple juice brine a couple of times. Today I decided to try the "traditional" Thanksgiving bird. Here it is seasoned with Kosher salt and pepper. Tried to loosen the skin and season under the skin as much as I could. Right before cooking I'll brush it all over with melted better and tie the legs. Probably not gonna start until after the OU-Texas game though
icon_rolleyes.gif
IMG_5268.jpg

Nice Russell, what's interesting is I almost went traditional myself but the JD was calling my name.

Just got my stock on, strong cup of Joe going and some Skynyrd on in the background. Weather's calling for sunny and 75 with a good chance of a several Miller Lites being consumed during this cook and a nice Zin being served with the bird. Life on the patio will be good today
icon_biggrin.gif

I'll be doing homemade gravy with the goodness from the drippings. Going Mad Max's gravy recipe again, can't beat it.

How's everyone doing their birds today, low and slow or grilling temps? I'm going 325 at the dome; will be using either Rancher or Frontier Lump and a nice chunk of cherry wood.

Sounds like a lot of fun, Larry! It's supposed to be in the upper 70's to low 80's here today. Should be really nice. I'm planning on doing about 350 degrees for mine. Gonna be my first time cooking one on the kettle. Have done them in the WSM in the past. Just looked up that Mad Max's gravy recipe. Looks great. Gonna have to give that a try.

Here's how mine turned out
IMG_4583.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

Just made an open faced turkey sandwich with sliced bread, turkey, and Tonya's home-made turkey gravy. Simple yet delicious!
IMG_6407.jpg

The bird turned out great - moist and delicious. Now comes the hard part - deciding which one to cook for Thanksgiving this one or the apple juice brine turkey.

Hope to see some pics from everyone else's cooks.

I've got my 15lb turkey sitting in the Apple Brine right now. Procrastinated and forgot about the 8-12 hour air drying in the fridge. Instead I'm going to use my wife's hair dryer on the cool setting to help speed the drying out
icon_smile.gif

Why does having such a great time always come with a price the next day? Anyway, bird turned out AWESOME! Cook went quite fast, she was done in 2.5 hours(15 lb bird at 325ish). I think I finally convinced Ed C. to do the JD Brine. Very moist, great flavor, both dark and white done perfectly and finished at the same time. Picture perfect cook. Plenty of Lite and two bottles of Zin consumed. Great evening, bring on Thanksgiving!

PostFallTurkey068.jpg

PostFallTurkey046.jpg

PostFallTurkey054.jpg

PostFallTurkey058.jpg

PostFallTurkey059.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Not sure if it's gonna be this weekend, but I'm not far behind you. I've got a bird in the deep freeze that needs to be barbecued. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Here are some photos of today's effort. A sneak peek at the November 2011 TVWB feature article:

Salted, Butterflied Turkey

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Did you foil during the cook? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No. Top cooking grate, about 2.5 hours @ 325*F. No rub, just salted, rinsed, then a little melted butter and black pepper. 1 chunk apple, 1 chunk cherry.

Regards,
Chris

Back