Disposable Gloves for Prepping Poultry

R. Hutchins

TVWBB Fan
Does anyone have recommendations for a type of disposable gloves to use in prep work?

I have grillers gloves for handling beef and pork coming off the smoker or grill. They protect my hands from the heat and are ribbed for good grip. I'm happy with these gloves. What I'm looking for are vinyl/nitrile/latex disposable gloves that I will use washing, cutting and otherwise handling poultry before cooking. Once I have it on the fire I will remove and toss the gloves then clean the prep aresa with bleach. That is my protocol.

To some, this might sound a bit over the top, but I have a compromised immune system and several artificial joints. I spent a month in the hospital last summer when an otherwise innocuous bacteria settled in and around an artificial knee joint. Not only did I have a second surgery on the site but the infection brought on kidney failure and I dang near bought it. I was on IV antibiotics for 8 weeks and continue to take them daily in pill form. I can't afford to take risks but I like to cook chicken; so I'm gonna do gloves.

I need extra large size and nothing flimsy like some of the .4mil stuff I've seen; but I don't know whether food handling is OK for vinyl, latex, or nitrile gloves. I assume that I want powderless so as not to flavor the chicken. I haven't found much wiki on choosing gloves by searching. Mostly the disposables are mentioned for healthcare situatiions.

Would be much obliged for the skinny on these things.

Bob -
I get my food handling gloves at a restaurant supply place. 50 pair for about 6 bucks. I think they are latex / powderless. I always ask "Food grade?" just to be sure. Jim

I use disposable food service gloves like the ones they use at a sandwich shop. I get them at Sam's and I think there are 200 to a box.

Thank you all for the responses!

My search fu was weak today. I couldn't come up with 'food service' as a qualifier to save me.

Was just my day to be the bug instead of the windshield.

Thanks, again!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I need extra large size and nothing flimsy like some of the .4mil stuff I've seen; but I don't know whether food handling is OK for vinyl, latex, or nitrile gloves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob, I've used and have given these to a friend who needs protection when cleaning fish. The 8 mil is a good thickness and will last quite a while. There are no issues handling food with nitrile gloves.

Paul

It is good to know that nitrile gloves are OK to use in food prep. I am not too concerned about contaminating food being prepared because I cook to temperatures that will, generally, render any harmful bacteria harmless. My concern is to not infect myself and to have an easy clean up while disposing of the protective gloves.

Thank you, all, again for the help.

I prefer vinyl over latex. Latex has an odor.

You may want to consider a cut resistant glove to wear over the disposable glove. I do occasionally cut myself, but when working with vinyl gloves, more often than not, I'll slice through a fingertip of the glove.

One of the guys I work with uses the Thickster gloves. He gave me a handfull and they worked great! And they come in extra large.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
I prefer vinyl over latex. Latex has an odor.

You may want to consider a cut resistant glove to wear over the disposable glove. I do occasionally cut myself, but when working with vinyl gloves, more often than not, I'll slice through a fingertip of the glove. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the food industry the disposable is usually placed over cut glove.

I always double my gloves as well.. mostly because when one soils I can just slip it off and continue working as opposed to having to put a new set one.

I'm with J, who I congratulate on becoming an MVP. I much prefer vinyl as i find them easier to put on and not as likely to rip. I get them by the box of about 200 at Home Depot.

Back