A Regular 18.5 grate on an SJP?

Shaun R

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a regular 18.5 grill fit a Jumbo Joe/SJP? I bought a really nice one the other day, but the grate has a little rust on it. Instead of replacing it I want to use a regular 18.5 one because I don't like how far apart the bars are on the original SJP grate. For now I have set the 18.5 grate in a criss cross pattern and am considering using some baling wire and making it permanent.

Forget it. I was able to get the old grste really greasy after cleaning it and cooking on it. I did find I don't like the fact the grate bars on the SJP are thinner than the ones on the 18.5.

By the way, the Weber grilling spray is great stuff!
icon_smile.gif

shaun, i looked at both grates and the spacing of the bars is identical. the thickness is also the same. both grates are original to both of them. so not sure what yer looking at.

i sure would like to know what the thought process was when they decided the sjp should be 1" in circumfurance larger than the 18.5 kettle. think of the engineering and tooling and all. the sjp grate cir is 56". the kettle grate cir is 55".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
i sure would like to know what the thought process was when they decided the sjp should be 1" in circumfurance larger than the 18.5 kettle. think of the engineering and tooling and all. the sjp grate cir is 56". the kettle grate cir is 55". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>And I thik this is why the bars on the grate are spread a little further apart. At least they are on mine. The bars on mine are also thinner? Tell you what I will show a picture and you show a picture of what you have and let's compare. Maybe you have an older unit George.

Here are mine. I think the difference is obvious.

Let's see what you have. Maybe the older models were different.

Looks just like the grate on my DR, thinner gauge and wider spacing.
Did you remove the handles on your grate?

Tim

no pics yet. but i'm now assuming that yer sjp grate is not genuine. when i do as you did the spacing is identical and so is the bar thickness. neither one of the grills is that old. i also lined them up as you did and on the top i made the grates even. on the bottom the sjp grate sticks out at least a 1/2 inch. yers dont look like that.

Thanks for both replies. Timothy, yes I removed the handles to fit my 16 inch pizza stone since there is plenty of room to fit my hands in to remove the grate. George, that's interesting. Please post a picture when you get a chance. Maybe I can buy one like yours. Mine is the same one that has been on my others. This is my third or fourth SJP.

Thanks George, but is it possible the grate on the regular 18.5 has the round handles? If so it's the lower end style grate Weber is putting on the Home Depot grills now. The square handled ones are thicker. The one on my SJP is the same style as Webers low end ones. Can you post a picture of the whole regular 18.5 grate?

pics are a pain for me. the 18.5 grate has the rounded handles. the sjp has a squared off handle. interesting that weber does that. i will go to target and look at the bars for the 18.5 flip up grate.

Yep! It sounds like you got the skinny barred grate on your 18.5 Silver. Look at the replacement grates at HD. They are thicker and have square handles.

don't bother me but its amazing that weber would go through all that trouble. might save on material but the logistics sure would cut down on any savings.

went to target today and surprise ! the replacement grates are thicker and closer together. the handles are squared off. i compared it to a new grate in a store display 18.5 kettle. i checked with the regular 22" silver kettle and it also had the same issue. so why is weber doing this ??

Back