Sun Dried Tomatoes in O.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
The jar says store in the refer. the olive oil hardens. What to do?

Not knowing better, I store in the fridge, scoop a wad out, microwave it, drain the oil (there should be a wonderful use for this oil) and add the tomatoes to sandwhiches or wraps or salads...

Does it really need the fridge? What should I do with the oil?

P.S. This stuff is wonderful-sweet like candy!
What else do use them for?

I never did refrigerate them, and never had a problem, but there are two factors in my favor: One, they never last long enough to go bad. Two, I always used to get them factory fresh from the Boscoli rep in unlabeled jars that never spent a second in a grocery warehouse or on a supermarket shelf.
icon_wink.gif
As to other uses, there must be some way to use them and that wonderful oil they're in for some type of pesto-like pasta creation. I have two more jars coming soon to experiment with.

O.O. rancidifies. It takes a while to do so but if you're not going to go through the tomatoes fairly soon then chill to prolong the oil's life.

Sun-dried tomato-basil pesto is a favorite. Puree in a blender one jar (8-10oz; whatever the size) of s.d. toms including the oil with about 2.5 c (packed) fresh basil leaves, 3 cloves garlic, .5-1 t crushed red pepper flakes, a turn of the black peppermill, and about 1/3 c of lightly toasted pine nuts (or sub almonds or walnuts). Puree till smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.

Remove from the blender to a bowl then fold in 1/2 c freshly grated Parmesan then stir well. Taste for salt; you'll likely need some but it's best to add it after the cheese addition. Store fridged.

For the oil:

Paint on pizza dough before topping and baking.

Use in place of (if you have enough) or in addition to butter when you mash potatoes.

Use as the oil part of a vinaigrette: A balsamic vinaigrette is great made with oil from s.d. toms

Drizzle lightly on steak that has been sliced and fanned over salad greens or grilled potato wedges, squeeze lemon over all; serve.

Mix some with a little Dijon and use to marinate asparagus before grilling them.

Mix some with a little softened cream cheese and a little softened goat cheese as a dip for vegs, a spread for toasted bagels, or a filling for an omelet.

Drizzle over grilled zucchini just before serving.

Grill some slices of good bread, rub them with the cut side of a half clove of garlic, paint the oil on then top with a sprinkle of your best salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back