ceramic knife

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
IMG_1167.jpg

I stumbled on this jem while wandering through a local harbor freight. couldn't believe the price...$9.99. They had a 6" ceramic chef knife as well for $14.99! I think I paid something like $80 for a kyocera ceramic santoku that I'm too afraid to take out of its case. This baby is easily as sharp as that. I don't know much of the specifics on ceramic blades, but I cant imagine there's much difference, and they all break easily. The handle is a much softer (almost rubbery) plastic than the kyocera, seems like the only difference.

if you're in my area please wait before I go back and buy me another.

note: ignore the shoddy knife work, the mango was barely ripe.

I'm leaving work early and hitting every Harbor Freight in the area!!!
icon_smile.gif

I do use my Kyocera (I think it was $100, got it as a 2nd wedding ani gift from the mrs.), but I'm horrible with it and no doubt will ruin it soon. I need some backups.

Todd

jb,

I stopped at the one on Union on my way home Monday. Picked up one of each size. They still had 2 big ones and one small one there. Thanks for the heads up on these.

Todd

thats where I got mine. let me know how it compares to your kyocera, I'd say they are about the same, but I was operating on memory (still too scared to use it!).

did you get the impression that they were a special or a regularly stocked item?

mmm, I'm not sure if anything on that back wall is stocked regularly there! Probably fell off a truck.

I used to use my kyocera to slice brisket, but now use the electric for that. So the only thing I use it for now is trimming briskets and butts, which it works awesome for and because I have no other decent knives for the job.

Todd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I used to use my kyocera to slice brisket, but now use the electric for that. So the only thing I use it for now is trimming briskets and butts, which it works awesome for and because I have no other decent knives for the job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess you're right...you do only cook meat! I figure you'd say you use it for chopping veggies!

for trimming meat, I recommend a rapala fillet knife available at any good sporting goods store (dick's, gander moutain). They are nice and sharp and stay that way with a honing steel (and come with a cool leather sheath). I had it professionally sharpened (which actually cost about an 1/8 of what a new one costs) and the person actually commented on how nice it shrapened, of all my knives, cheap and expensive.

For a bit more you can get a forschner, but I still prefer my rapala.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but now use the electric for that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what kind of electric knife? I bought a rapala electric based on how much I like their fillets and it came with a case and two blades. but after a few uses, it chatters like it might blow, and it leaves saw marks in the brisket (which I don't want in my comp meat).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> what kind of electric knife? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing special on the electric (I don't think). Cuisinart model CEK-40. The wifey got it for me for xmas. I don't notice any saw marks, but never really paid that close attention either.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I guess you're right...you do only cook meat! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya, you thought I was kidding about sides. I tell my wife, you want sides, you make them. To the guests, "I'll cook the meat, you bring the sides". LOL. Well, not quite that standoff-ish, but ya, I hate having to think about and coordinate side dishes.

Thanks for the pics (damn, I have to get my wifes old camera back in business so I can start posting pics again) and recommendations on the knives. I really do need to start getting some of the right tools for the job.

I'm still pretty wet behind the ears (cooking decent meals). Not that I couldn't feed the family, but burgers, dogs, boneless chicken breast, steaks, corn, and some italian vegies were about the extent of my outside cooking. And cooking inside was even more minimal. Well, until a year ago when I wanted to buy a super cheap smoker to take to the lake with me. Stumbled upon this site, re-evaluated the super cheap idea, and a couple weeks later took a WSM with me to the lake and did the basic bbq chicken the first day.

Todd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And cooking inside was even more minimal. Well, until a year ago when I wanted to buy a super cheap smoker to take to the lake with me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like cooking so I'm taking well to bbq, plus I can bring those skills and knowledge to the pit. They say good bbq-ers are usually good cooks first. If you can't boil water don't bother buying a smoker.

My cooking (and love of bbq) got me going, I don't see why it can't work in reverse.

I know everybody likes to eat good food, I can't figure out why so few people don't bother to take the time to realize that good food isn't that hard to make everyday.

as far a equipment goes...thats my thing. right tools for the job makes things easier and yield professional results. And good equipment doesn't have to be expensive (unfortunately it usually is, i.e. allclad).

I love my rapala, and being that I never have heard mention of them, good to know that your happy with yours too. Whenever talk of knives came up I always thought no one liked them. Man J.B., my rapala is SHARP!!! and yes it stays that way. I love em. but one question, how do you sharpen yours and whats the angle, im guessing "sontaku" or however you spell it.. anyway it came w/ a little sharpener but i like my bigger one, and Im 90% sure they match.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but one question, how do you sharpen yours </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember my dad scrocking a lugie on a whetstone and rubbing the blade a bit before filleting a smallmouth bass. I prefer to take mine to a local shop the sharpens them for 2 bucks a piece.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That is just disgusting. Was he in a boat when he did it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope, back at the cottage.

i have a ceramic knife its incredibly sharp. my mom gave it to me as a birthday gift but i dont use it cuz im afraid to break it. so i keep using my cheap as hell chinese made faberware kinives. i hate them and want to buy a new set but all the stores in my area only carry chinese made knives of utter crappiness.

Buy on line. Yes, that means you can't try first but the better sites have ggod return/exchange policies. All my knives are Japanese and not widely available in retail stores, with very few exceptions, so I buy via the Net.

Where are you located, Jon?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i hate them and want to buy a new set but all the stores in my area only carry chinese made knives of utter crappiness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

buy this knife...you won't be disappointed:

http://www.korin.com/models.php?cat=54&subcat=62&df=kni...le&subcatname=Tojiro

I bought the santoku for $40, two years ago, and have had it sharpened once. It's the first knife I grab (if my wife isn't using it first).

I have a couple Tojiros. Their honesuki is my favorite for boning or trimming. Reasonably priced too.

Back