White rice

G

This is long, so be prepared.

Since so many folks here seem interested in Cuban food, I thought I'd share some advice. You can always find Cuban recipes in books or online, but I want to give you information that you won't always find in a recipe.

Most Cuban meals are served with rice, and it's usually white rice. Therefore, many recipes you'll find, like black beans, picadillo, etc. will say "serve with white rice". The problem is that most people will probably go to the store and pick up a box of instant rice. Big mistake! After eating homemade rice for years, when I see the instant rice, I cringe. It's so bland, I don't know how anyone can stand it.

Making good rice is the easiest thing in the world, and it's the first thing I ever learned how to make. I couldn't have been older than 12. Since it's used so much in Cuban cooking, getting it right is the most important thing you can do in learning to cook Cuban-style.

The first thing you need is a rice cooker. They sell them in stores like Target and Walmart, and they're fairly inexpensive. The one I have now is a small one that makes a maximum of 3 cups. It's enough for me and my wife, but too little for most families. I recommend getting one that makes at least 6 cups. Besides, for some reason the rice seems to come out better in the larger ones. Some people know how to make rice in a pressure cooker or in a regular pot, but for me that's always been hit or miss. The rice cooker does it perfect each time. Buy a cheap one, they work well. I've never had one of the expensive ones, so I can't really say if they're any better, but I always like my rice from the cheap cooker.

The next thing you need is rice. Buy long grain or extra-long grain white rice. Look for a bag, not a box. I've never had good white rice from a box. Very important--make sure it's NOT "converted rice". Just regular long grain white rice. Besides being better, it's cheaper.

When you make rice, wash it several times. This gets out a lot of the starch, which will make it too sticky. The water will start out milky white, and will clear up more and more each time you wash it. By the time you're done, you should be able to see the rice through the water. It will never get perfectly clear. To wash it, just pour water on the rice, swirl it around with your hand, and then strain it out, using your hand to keep the rice from falling out. Make sure to pick out any bad rice, or any foreign matter like stones or twigs. I always do the washing and sorting right in the rice cooker's pot, which separates conveniently from the cooker itself.

Strain out the dirty water one last time. Then add the appropriate amount of clean water for the amount of rice you're cooking. Follow the rice cooker directions to figure out the proportions of water to rice. Here's a warning: always use the measuring cup that came with the cooker to measure the rice, and don't lose it! For some reason, they're never equal to a regular cup. I think the one that I have is about 3/4 cup. The provided cup will give you an amount that will match with the water lines on the side of the cooker.

Then add salt, garlic powder, and vegetable oil. I don't know the exact measurements; I pour the salt into my hand to measure, and the rest I put directly into the pot. I would say it's probably about 2 teaspoons of salt for 3 cups of rice. For the garlic powder I usually try to sprinkle enough so that it lightly coats the entire top of the water. The oil is probably about 1 to 2 tablespoons for 3 cups of rice. The ingredients may sound simple, but that's really how I like it. I've tried adding other things, like onion powder, pepper, etc. but I always like the original better.

Stir it all up, then cover it with the lid and turn it on. About 20 minutes later you'll have great rice. Actually, it's not guaranteed. The problem is ratio of water to rice. The rice should be firm, but not crunchy. If you find that the rice is a little on the crunchy side, you'll need a little more water next time. If it's too soft, maybe even mushy, use less water next time. Use the lines on the pot as a guide. For example, if you filled the water exactly to the line, and it's too mushy, then you know you'll have to go a little under the line next time.

And, of course, next time you can adjust the seasonings to your taste, like more or less salt. When it comes to oil, it's better to have too little than to use too much. Too much oil will make the rice greasy.

When it comes out right, it's good enough to eat by itself. Whenever I eat rice and black beans, I pour the black beans over the rice, but I don't mix it up. That way, I can still taste the flavor of the separate items.

The only problem with making rice this way is that cleaning the pot is not easy. The rice forms a crust on the bottom that is hard to remove. One solution that works well is to put about an inch of water into the pot, put it back into the cooker, and turn it on for a few minutes. This nicely loosens up the caked-on rice. Usually, though, I just fill the pot with water and let it soak a while.

White rice pretty much goes with anything, so don't limit yourself to making it with Cuban food. I feel obligated to tie this back to barbecue somehow, so I'll mention that sometimes I eat white rice with barbecue sauce. Talk about two worlds colliding!

Enjoy!

--Mick

Mick,
That sounds great. I am always looking for different side dishes, and extra gadgets to buy.
I have heard good things about the rice cookers, but never really understood them. This really clears up that mystery for me.

Jim

Mickey,
I agree 100% good rice does not come in a box. My ex was of Filipino and Japanese heritage and her family introduced me to many new food experiences. Being of Greek heritage, I was certainly no stranger to rice, but those dishes (which I love) are made with Uncle Bens Converted Rice. My in-laws used Blue Calrose, and like you, washed the starch out by swishing and rinsing the rice by hand in the cooking pot. Their cooking method and end product were diffrent than yours, but should work for both recipes. Nothing was measured!!
Pour rice in pot, cover with water and wash and rinse untill excess starch is removed. Now the tricky part: after final rinse let the rice settle and with your hand gently pat the rice to make sure it is distributed in an even layer. Water is measured using your middle finger, water covering rice should be one knuckle deep. Add salt, bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer covered 20 minutes, or untill moisture is absorbed.
Not exactly rocket science but it does the job without adding another appliance. Practice makes perfect!
2nice

2nice/Mickey,

I've enjoyed reading your methods and comments on rice-making. I lived in the Philippines for several years as a child, and rice was an everyday part of our meals. Even almost 30 years later, I occasionally miss having rice for breakfast.

My wife is half-Japanese, and she uses the fingertip method to make rice. However, I remember reading an article in one of our local newspapers a few years ago where they asked several Asians how they made rice. The most common answer was "with a rice cooker, of course!".

Rick

2nice
I'm also Greek (1/4) and my wife is Greek. She and her mother are doing some kind of a deep fried cookie tonight.
Do you have any lamb recipes that can be used in the WSM?
Jim

Yahsoo Jim,
I have only smoked lamb twice, both times on my ECB. The first time was a leg and to be honest I don't remember much about it. It was over 20 years ago when I first got my Brinkman. Recently I did lamb shanks on the ECB and they were pretty good. I marinated them in olive oil, red wine vinegar, and a packaged garlic dressing. I think shanks could work out well, but I need to work on a recipe. I really like lamb shanks cooked in my dutch oven, but that's another subject!
Back to BBQ.....This sunday is Greek Easter and we will be having a great celebration. We alway roast a lamb. This year we have a 40 pounder! My brother has a brick fire pit with an adjustable spit powered by an electric motor, using a chain and sprocket. Early Sunday mourning we will truss the lamb on the spit, stud the meat with garlic cloves, rub it with olive oil, lemons, salt, pepper, and oregano. Then the lamb is roasted low and slow over charcoal, lovingly basted with a mixture of oil, lemon juice, and oregano....untill perfection!
P.S.
Sunday is also Cinco de Mayo Day!!
2nice

I'll have to try the fingertip method some day. I'm guessing success would depend on the size of your fingers. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

A Filipino friend of mine once told me that in the Phillipines, a monthly bag of rice is often given by companies to their employees as a benefit. I don't know whether or not I can believe it, but I wish more companies in the U.S. would give food as a benefit. All I got was a lousy 401(k)!

I think to make Asian-style rice using the method I presented, just take out the oil and garlic. I'm not sure about the salt.

--Mick

Back