Recommendations re: Grill Gloves/Mitts?

Kevin Walsh

TVWBB Fan
I need to get some new grill gloves/mitts, and am seeking the benefit of the community's collective experience.

I am looking for something that would protect my forearms. I am not necessarily looking for something that will let me comfortably stick my hand into a jet's afterburner, but it should stand up to the heat generated by a lump-fueled fire. It should also be reasonably comfortable, and still allow for some measure of control of my tongs/spatula (this is where Weber's mitt falls down, as far as I am concerned).

Suggestions?

I use welding gloves. Lincoln Electric brand. Got them at the Home Depot. They were not expensive, made of thick leather. You could grab the devil by the tail and not get burned with these!

I too, use Welding Gloves (I like dexterity). Picked out a comfortable pair @ a local supply house. Cost less than $10.

Kevin H.

There are gloves you can get at some gourmet kitchen stores that are made of a special fireproof plastic. You could actually put her hand into boiling water and pull out a lobster without feeling a thing.

Depends what you're using them for.
I like ORCA silicone mittens for anything with extreme heat, they're good to like 5 or 600 degrees, but aren't the best for dexterity. I keep a pair of red leather welding gloves also, but the ones I use most are these http://www.texasbbqrub.com/tools.htm
Great for handling hot roasts, holding meat while pulling/slicing, and also good for dishwashing in scalding hot water.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dann B:
Depends what you're using them for.
I like ORCA silicone mittens for anything with extreme heat, they're good to like 5 or 600 degrees, but aren't the best for dexterity. I keep a pair of red leather welding gloves also, but the ones I use most are these http://www.texasbbqrub.com/tools.htm
Great for handling hot roasts, holding meat while pulling/slicing, and also good for dishwashing in scalding hot water. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually stumbled upon these texas bbq gloves while searching for accessories for my new WSM. Are these gloves good when I need to remove the top cooking grate of my WSM to reach the lower grate? Can they handle the heat of the grates as well as protecting my forearms long enough to remove whatever food is down there? The description doesn't really say they are heat resistant, it only mentions the grease/oil resistance.

You should be able to find heat resistant neoprene gloves at the local hardware.

I got a pair of black unlined gloves for about $10.

Thou not a welder by trade I weld a lot ! Having said that I own a couple a good pairs a welding gloves ! BUT for tending fires and grabing hot grills and what have you I use cheap one from Harbor Freight. They were on sale last week all leather and lined and they were giving them away for 3 pairs for $7.99 .

There not fancy but for grill work and grabing stuf they work fine . I had a grate from my wsm heated up to an extremly HIGH temp today with my weed burner burning off the crapola I mean it was smoking hot so hot it burned the leather
icon_eek.gif
I picked that up and it did get a little warm but I could hold it to move it no problem . Could I of held it 10 minutes ? I duno kina doubt it but then again how many of us are gona carry a hot grate around for 10 minutes ? and at 3 pair for $7.99 there throw aways IMO YMMV
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I don't see them online but I been in 2 HF stores and they hadem stacked up last week regular price is $10.99 that still cheap for 3 pairs all leather flanel lined welders gloves IMHO .

Back