Best Grill for <$1,000

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
All I really want to do is grill some really good steaks (good sear), some chicken now and then and maybe some veggies. My current gas grill is rusting out and I want to replace it. I have a WSM and an 18" kettle so I just want to replace my quick and easy gasser with a good grill. Any suggestions or things to consider would be appreciated.

when i bought my gas grill I looked at several grills in a price range of $300-1500 and I ended up getting a weber. At the time the grill was about $500 and it works great-reliable.

Jerry,

I agree with David. For the needs you describe and your budget I think Weber will give you the your best bang for the buck. I have cooked on a couple of others in that price range and they fall short. You could spend more, but for "quick and easy" it sounds like you would be happy with a good weber. Stay in budget and save the rest of your money on some good steaks.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n....too many choices!
Gary

Thanks, but I thought a Weber was a given. I was kind of asking which Weber and with what features?

I am planning on buy a gasser too, and I am leanig towards the Genesis E 310 or E 320. It's still made in this country, and it has received rave reviews from people who have purchased one.

Amazon still seems to have the best deal on them.

Any opinions on the Genesis S 320? I'd consider stainless if it would mean that the grill will last longer.

Consumer Reports just rated gas grills. For midsize grills they rated Weber Genesis E320 as #1 and Blue Ember by Fiesta (Home Depot) as a 'Best Buy'.

For Large Grills - Kenmore 16237 was highest rated and Kenmore 16315 as the 'Best Buy'.

All of these are under $1000.

Jerry. As far as a SS grill, mine is 8 yrs old, not a speck of rust or corrosion. It's a little bit of work to keep it shiny, but well worth the extra cash for the long haul.
Hope that helps.
Tim

I have been extreamly happy with my EP-320. It has the side burner which I do not use much but it is nice to have and because it is the EP model the burners and grate are SS. This I am told means they will last longer and will not rust. I find the cook area to be very sufficient in size and the heat to be very evenly distributed.

Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
I It has the side burner which I do not use much
Steve, Use it to light your charcaol for the WSM.
icon_wink.gif

Even if you think that you will never use it,
get one with a side burner. You will soon be
using it a lot.

Besides lighting the WSM chimney, what does everyone use the side burner for? I wondered because I cook on my gasser a lot and never thought I really needed it.

Buckeye Bob

I also have the Weber S-320 which I got last year and I have had no complaints with it. Since I got my bullet this year I have not been using the 320 as much, since I have been trying a lot of different things on the smoker, but I wouldnt trade either of them for anything else.

Okay, I didn't even know there were two different Weber E series grills. I got the E-320 and not the EP-320 grill. I thought I got a great price of $699 and zero shipping charge, but the EP-320 comes with 7mm stainless steel rod cooking grates and Stainless steel Flavorizer® bars. The E-320 comes with porcelain enameled cooking grates and flavorized bars. That is the only difference I found in the two grills.
Is this a big deal?

Richard - not really. The "EP's" (P for premium) do come with stainless grates and bars, but you can always upgrade to stainless flavorizer bars or grates when it comes time to replace them. Personally, I'd likely keep the cast iron grates.

Originally posted by Robert T.:
Besides lighting the WSM chimney, what does everyone use the side burner for? I wondered because I cook on my gasser a lot and never thought I really needed it.

Buckeye Bob

Its great for making sauces or keeping them hot. Being a good NC boy when I make my vinegar sauce (eastern of course) I use the side burner on my gasser.

Boiled vinegar really stays in the house
icon_smile.gif

Buckeye Bob

Bob
Depends on what your style of cooking is and what you like. I use mine for many different side dishes such as stir fry vegetables, honey and soy mushrooms, fried potatoes, hot tomato and onion salsa deep frying seafood, scallops in champagne, curries, pancakes, sauces. The list is endless and only requires a little imagination. It keeps the smells out of the house.
I found that most people do not use them until they become proficient with the grill then they become more adventuresome and use the side burner a lot. It enables you to cook all the meal outdoors and serve straight from the grill.

Regards

Back