Making Chili Powder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
The basics seem to be 2 or 3 chiles, garlic, oregano and paprika. So what do you put in yours and where do you like to get your chiles from?

Unless one is using top-shelf paprika its use is unnecessary as it simply dilutes the flavor of the other chilies. Even the best paprika's flavor will be substantially diminished at best, depending on the other chile(s) in the mix.

I toast and grind a dozen different chilies into powders but do not mix them with each other, nor anything else, ahead of time as, to me, it's just as easy to add individual powders plus individual spices and herbs than to make up some sort of blend ahead of time only to have to adjust it later. (Spoil sport!
icon_smile.gif
)

Spoil sport, great point.
One thing I have learned here is to use the best available ingredients and control what goes in or on the food we so carefully prepare.
Mixes are crutch and may have their place at times. As I study your and others recipes, I find myself attempting to get to the root ingredients. This was the object of a short discusion regarding dutch oven cooking. Far too many recipes call for the addition of this mix or that flavor packet. Yech!

Too true. And often those packets contain inferior ingredients and/or 'enhancers' and/or stuff better added separately (salt, sugar) where they are both better able to be monitored and cheaper if simply pulled from your cabinet rather than included in a blend.

With the exception of complicated complex blends like raz el hanout with its two dozen ingredients (several of which needing prepping before grinding), berbere, achiote pastes and the like, I don't find the need to make blends ahead of time. However, if a chili blend is in the cards I'd suggest basing it on a chile with good depth, like guajillo, and building from there, perhaps with cascabel for it's berry notes and/or ancho for its lighter tones. Granulated garlic and onion are good additions but, frankly, I'd skip the cumin common to chili powder blends. I love cumin but its addition to the pot is best made toward the end of cooking (it could be included in the blend for the last 'dump'). Also, though oregano is common it is important not to use Mexican oregano because it cannot handle long cooking; use Greek or one of the other European oreganos. Better still, to me--forgo the oregano and use marjoram and thyme instead. Top-of-the-head suggestion: 3 parts ground guajillo, 1 part each ground cascabel an ancho, 1/2 part each onion and garlic and thyme, 1/4 part marjoram. Just a thought.

Hi Kevin, Steve,
I now have a range of different chilli peppers growing here in Malta in the field. I am trying 8 different types. Tried to find seed for the Aleppo variety you mentioned in another link but no luck. How do you go about drying them to make the chili powder. We are over producing and even though I give some away to friends who like them I still have an excess. Do you air dry, oven or what. Would be interested in your method so we can use the excess production.
Thanks.

Mike if you enjoy smoked peppers, you can do what I did. Just toss them on the wsm after a smoke, leave over night. Others can give you more options. Once I had a large supply of smoked-dried peppers, I found a lot of uses....

I have made ristras (strings of ripe chilies hung in the sun to dry) for myself and for gifts and have smoked chilies as well, either tossing them into the smoker, like Steve does, after a cook, or by setting up a smoking session specifically for chilies.

Because I use unsmoked chilies far more often than smoked I oven-dry more often--when I have ripe chilies or are able to obtain them--in a slow oven.

Though not required, making a small slit or two through the flesh of each chile can facilitate even drying and shorten drying time.

When drying in a cooker I take them to the very-dry-but-still-somewhat-pliable stage as this makes them easier to work with, imo, especially when toasting. Dried chilies destined to be rehydrated for sauces can be rehydrated as is but those destined to be ground will grind better if bone dry. In both cases the chilies can be left whole (but stemmed) or coarsely torn (seeds removed if desired; I usually do) and toasted in a preheated dry pan over med-high heat. Pressing the chilies to the pan bottom with a flat spatula will help them toast evenly but do this briefly then flip them, repeat, stir or toss, then remove to a plate to cool. You're looking for some nice toasting--some nice toasted aromas--but take care not to burn. The process should only take 45 secs-1.5 min or so, depending on the chilies. Further drying will occur as they cool and then they can be ground. If rehydrating they can go from pan to bowl and immediately covered with very hot water. (Bone-dry chilies can burn more quickly. If toasting those break them up first then put them in the preheated pan. Forgo pressing on them with a spat; simply stir them contantly and at the first whiff of toasting dump the pan onto a cool dinner plate or metal sheetpan, spreading them out immediately to cool. Bone-dry chilies can take as little as 30-45 secs to toast and can burn in a flash so be on top of it.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:

Mixes are crutch and may have their place at times. As I study your and others recipes, I find myself attempting to get to the root ingredients. This was the object of a short discussion regarding dutch oven cooking. Far too many recipes call for the addition of this mix or that flavor packet. Yech! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My sentiments exactly. I am still floored at how many people choose to buy rubs instead of making their own. I think the only canned ingredients I open are tomato products, beans for salads, and artichoke hearts in water. But, that's what people pay me for, having everything homemade and keeping quality control of the ingredients. I even make my own curry powder.

Since I took Kevin's advice and quit adding salt to my rubs, I can use them for people on the DASH diet, or where someone is trying to stay under 1500 mg. of sodium per day. I also like the fact that I can use whichever salt I choose, i.e. sea or Kosher, Morton or Diamond Crystal, which both have different tastes and intensities. A lot of it depends on what things are being served with as well.

What do you do when you are out of a key ingredient? Or when you are not in your own kitchen?

If you understand the components of rubs and classic combos then you can make your own on the spot. A new flavor is a good thing. Family, friends and, clients will be amazed by something they have not previously experienced. A problem becomes a challenge.

All spices are pantry items, so they are always made in my own kitchen. I make a lot of them and keep them in a jar in the fridge. Right now, I am going to be spice rubbing turkeys for clients this season, and need more rub made, so I will be making some tomorrow for the rotisserie turkeys, and prepped ones the clients want to cook themselves. I also have whole beef tenderloins to prep, and the entire sides for some clients, so it's going to be a busy next couple of weeks. I haven't even ordered turkeys yet!

Oh thanks for reminding me. Let me go back.

Yes, I brine my spice rubbed turkeys. Not for my clients, but for us. I use the orange/ginger/apple juice one because I cannot ever think there's anything better, it always stands out above all else and you can taste it, savor it in the mouth and nose. Don't forget the airdry for 24 hours. That's important and a step not to be missed.

I grind everything in my husband's ancient coffee mill made by Braun. I have another one as a back up - mine - a later model, since I do the Toddy Coffee Method and don't grind beans anymore. Yep, prefer to grind spices as I do do that quite more frequently. This is also how I make curry powder, and once you make that from scratch, you wlll never buy it, simply because you never know what's in the stuff. Overload of turmeric usually. Mine is not yellow, but brownish.

Thanks Jane. I thought it was a different brine. I used the apple brine last year and was thoroughly pleased

I can't seem to pull myself away from it to make anything else. I do believe I will brine my client's rotisserie turkey for her. Thanks for the ideas guys. Always making me a better chef.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back