RV'ing with Weber Q220

Chris B

TVWBB Member
I am new to RV'ing and kind of a rookie when it comes to grilling. I have been using the WSM for a few years now with great success with Pork Butts, Turkey, and Ribs. I also have Weber Kettle that I use mainly for rotissere chicken that comes out great too (at least that's what the family says). But when it comes to grilling over gas I tend to just use it for hot dogs and hamburgers.

I guess I was wondering what people would recommend trying to grill on a 220 for a family of five on a weekend RV trip. Being that space is limited what are some of the things that people recommend stocking in the RV frig? What type of things would you prepare beforehand? I don't think you could indirectly cook in the 220 very effectively, but then again I haven't tried it. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The Q-220 is NOT made for indirect, if thats what you're looking for the Q-300 would work out better. I have done every thing from 2" thick steaks and chops to good size salmon steaks and fillets on a Q-200, not to mention countless numbers of vegies.

My advice? Do what you can ahead of time. Steaks and Fillets can be rubed and marinated ahead of time and frozen. Vegies can be marinated in things like Italian dressing, or brown sugar and butter, and kept in the fridge for about a week. Everything else? Grill seasoning or salt & pepper to taste.

Joe,
Whilst the Q220 may not have been designed specifically for indirect cooking, it can be achieved easily. I have been cooking both direct and indirect on my Q200 for 3 about years. I use a variety of methods. The aim is to create a reflective barrier and an air gap between the food and the burner. The main method that I use is by using the roasting trivet, though I have not been able to locate it on the US Weber site it is on the Australian site Here and go to the Q accessories -
Weber Q/Big Family Q (Q200/220/300) Roasting Trivet Item # 93375. You will notice that underneath the trivet is a doubled over sheet of foil this acts as a reflective surface and sets the Q up with a indirect cooking zone. The trivet has feet about 1/2" high which lifts the food above the reflective surface and allows air to circulate around the food aiding in even cooking.
Keeping this principle in mind you can cook indirectly in many ways, such as using a large foil tray or baking dish with a roasting rack in it. Using the foil tray or baking dish with a cake cooling rack or similar on top of it. You can turn the foil tray upside down or use the roasting trivet over the foil and put a cake, or muffin tray, on top and cook a cake or muffins. You could also use the Weber SS fish or vegetable tray turned upside down to set up a indirect zone for cooking pizzas.
The bottom line is you are only limited by your imagination. It just takes experimentation.

Chris,
If you email me (my address is in my profile), I will send you a copy of the recipes that I have developed for the Q, many of them are for indirect cooking.
I especially like doing Chicken Wings with Honey and Soy indirectly using the trivet as this way the honey does not burn and the flavours sink into the chicken.

Regards

Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
The main method that I use is by using the roasting trivet, though I have not been able to locate it on the US Weber site it is on the Australian site

Anyone know if it's possible to purchase the roasting trivet online?

Would have been nice to do some indirect grilling on my Q220, but I can't find the trivet for sale anywhere...

Hi Frode,

I haven't seen the roasting trivet for US market. But I saw it on Australian website.

I have a small broiler wirerack, and I use this instead. Or you can even use regular roasting rack. Just be sure to place heavy duty foil or some other barrier between the grill and the rack.

Fronde
You can use any heavy duty wire rack that will fit comfortably inside the Q. It should be placed on a doubled over sheet of foil with an airgap of about 1/2 - 3/4 between the bottom of the rack and the foil. You need to have a clear area of about 1 - 1 1/2" between the edge of the foil and the sides of the Q so that air and heat can move around and the fire doesn't go out.

Regards

Regards

Back