Ketchup made with tomato paste

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Ketchup made with tomato paste

Many people make ketchup by combining tomato paste with similar ingredients in a bowl and stirring until smooth. I prefer a different approach.

2 small cans best quality tomato paste
1/4 small sweet onion
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, preferably unfiltered
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3/4 tsp yellow mustard powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
pinch ground cloves
pinch ground ginger
pinch cayenne
Several grinds of the peppermill
Salt

Open the cans of tomato paste; set aside. Using the small holes of a box grater or the like, grate the onion directly into a small bowl in order to catch all the juices (it'll be mushy); reserve. Mix the water with the vinegar; reserve. Measure the brown sugar; reserve. Mix the remaining ingredients, except the salt, in a small bowl; set aside.

Heat a small, non-reactive pot (preferably non-stick) over medium-high heat until hot, 4-5 minutes. Working quickly, add the onion and a pinch of salt and stir constantly with a flat whisk or wooden spoon, until a little of the juices reduce, about 20-30 seconds. Add the dry spices and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds more, stirring. Add the tomato paste all at once, stir well to blend; cook 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high. Add a pinch of salt, the water/vinegar mixture, and the sugars. Mix very well. Adjust seasonings. Remove from heat or bring to a simmer and reduce slightly, until desired thickness is achieved.

Cool completely.

Thanks Kevin. This is a gluten free recipe, which I can use successfully for my clients. I make a salad dressing which uses bottled chili sauce, but I could substitute this instead. Everything store bought has distilled vinegar in it, which makes it unusable for GF people.

Back