Old '00 Genesis: Refurbing help?

David Corsi

I just purchase a Weber WSM and a Weber Genesis S-310 gasser to replace a 7 year old Genesis gasser.

The old Genesis was working when I last used it 14 months ago and had been kept outside for 6 years using the Weber cover in the Midwest with nearly zero cleaning other than the grate. I didn't use it at all last year (moving homes etc. didn't get a chance) and it is very, very dirty and the warming rack and parts of the grill and flavorizer bars seem to have rust. I want to give the grill away to family but how should I tackle these issues? Just replace the drip pan, degrease the grills and how should I try to get all the rusty areas fixed? Thoughts on the best way on getting it all nice for donating to family?

As for my new grills... well they have a new home including a 480 sq foot deck to sit on... very excited!

It should be fine. Coat the parts with oil and fire up the grill for ten minutes or so at high.

If you want, you can order those parts directly from Weber. You may want to replace the grates.

Or, tell whomever you're giving it to to do that.

One thing you'll want to do is scrape the inside with a plastic putty knife to get the gunk out. Also, take the burner tubes out and give them a cleaning. A straightened coat hangar and newspaper work well for these. Just fish a ball of newspaper through a few time on each tube.

Replace the parts... If you realy want to try to fix the rust, you need to finish what Jay said. Clean the grates with a brass brush until all the rust is gone. Coat the parts with vegie oil or shortining, heat the grill on high for ten minutes, then turn the center burner off and the front and back burners on medium and leave it like that for one and one half hours. Then let the parts cool off.

Is it just the grates and flavorizor bars with rust? These are normal replacement items and the parts can be bought just about anywhere.

Do the burners work OK or is there substantial rust anywhere else?

My 10 year old Genesis had some rust on the rails that the bottom tray slides into, so I had to replace the rails. Weber was nice enough to send me free replacements.

It's pretty nice of you to fix up the grill before giving it away. Most people would let the recipient take care of fixing it.

Back