Pork butt - High heat

Kris Auer

TVWBB Member
Does anyone use the high heat method for pork butt when competing? I recently switched to the high heat method for my brisket and have been pleased with the results, so I wonder how the judges like high heat pork. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Kris, I have cooked Butt HH and found it to be as good as LH. I compete and have done brisket HH several times with good results. I personally am not sure that your average judge will be able to tell the difference between HH and LH. If both come out the same in taste, texture and appearance. Some others will disagree, I suggest you do trials with both methods and judge for yourself before you submitt to the judges at a comp.

Good Luck on the trail.

Mark

My opinion....

I tried it once or twice and didn't like the end product. In my opinion, the fat wasn't given time to render down. It also caused the outside to be done/done and the inside to be just barely done. I'm thinking it's because the pork butt is a fairly thick piece of meat and it takes time for the heat to get all the way through the meat.

That said, I do know that Myron Mixon and a couple of other teams use HH successfully.

Brisket is a little different in that most of the cut isn't as thick as a pork butt.

Russ

Back