Smokey Joe Platinum Bottom Vent Mod

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
A while back, I bought my brother a SJP and added a one touch cleaning system to the bottom for added air flow. I didn't add a ash catcher to that grill and I've been thinking about doing it.

I got a good deal on a new SJP on Ebay and decided to do the bottom vent mod using the lid vent from a "defunct" SJ. I also wanted to add an ash catcher because I didn't want ash falling onto the patio under the grill.

I drilled a hole in the tab on the vent cover, did the bottom vent addition using a uni-bit, then inserted an 8" carriage bolt through the hole in the tab and locked it in place using lock nuts.

I used a bench vise to make two bends in the legs so I could install an ash catcher with clearance underneath the grill, then drilled a hole in the center of the bottom of a stainless steel "puppy pan" and installed it on as the base of the ash catcher. I plan to sit a tin pie plate in the puppy pan to catch any ashes so I can just remove the pie plate, dump the ashes and replace the plate. That way, I don't have to remove the puppy plate to remove the ashes.

My results aren't perfect - I don't have fancy tools and sometimes I am prone to "eyeball" when measuring would be difficult - still, the end result is appealing to the eye and we'll soon see how well it cooks.

Here are some pics:

SJP Mod 1

SJP Mod 2

SJP Mod 3

SJP Mod 4

All that's left to do now is to fire it up and see how it burns. I'll probably also add a thermometer to the top of the lid. Just something to look at while I'm cooking.

This was a fun mod to do. I did it in little bits and pieces over a couple of weeks.

Pat

wait till you cook on it. When you need searing heat its like night vs. day difference. I've done a few cuts of steak, burgers, and a couple tri's so far, vegies, etc.... I should have done it a long time ago. Its small enough it doesn't take much to heat it up, but big enough to hold two good size tri's fairly easy (i had family over tonight). burn some lump in there and be amazed.
good idea w/ the pie plate, im gonna have to borrow that from you. also the dog dish looks more stable then my pan, i would have needed more width (w/ my vent holes is the only reason) but theres definatly other things that would work. thats the one thing i'de change (or still can change I suppose) is my choice of ash catching pan.
Good thought out idea w/ the legs, very stable looking. Somehow when i closed my eyes and thought how to bend them, that didn't come out, lol. looks like you put some thought into that, looks great.
Great job!

Back