Grilled Pizza

Rusty Barton

TVWBB Pro
We wanted a quick dinner tonight. I looked in the freezer and looked at our Weber gas grill. Why not grill a pizza? So I did.

Preheated the grill to 400F (per directions on pizza box) and grilled it for 15-minutes (per box directions) with the lid closed. Halfway through, I rotated the pizza 90-degrees to make sure the crust cooked evenly. The grill has porcelain covered cast iron grates.

Best frozen pizza we ever had. Crispy, grilled flavor crust. Next time, I'll try it with a homemade pizza on the Weber charcoal grill.

This was a thin crust pizza. For one with a thicker crust, I might use a pizza pan for half the cooking time to prevent the crust from getting too done or burning.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rusty Barton:
For one with a thicker crust, I might use a pizza pan for half the cooking time to prevent the crust from getting too done or burning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rusty, I have been making my homemade pies on the gasser and did some deep dish pan pies last week (pizza hut clones) and be very careful with the use of a pan. When I cook the pan pizza in my oven @ 425 it takes about 22 min. Well on the gasser @425 with the flames so close to the bottom of the pan, I'm sure glad I checked the bottom of the crust at 12 min into the cook because it was just barely still edible. Another min or 2 and it would have been pure carbon. What i did on the next one was put my 16" 1/2" thick round pizza stone on the PCI grates and that helped alot but it still cooked in 1/2 the time of the oven.
icon_wink.gif

And yes to the best frozen pie when doing them on the grill.

Been doing pizza on the grill for years. If your a charcoal fan, use the char baskets. This lets you pre-cook the crust with direct heat, and cook the pizza with indirect heat. For the gassy person out there with a three or more burner, cook the crust with the center (one or two) burner('s) on, then turn them off to cook the pizza.

Reason I cook the crust first is because after the dough is cooked the only thing left to do is melt the cheese and heat up the toppings.

FYI, any good pizza crust recipe will work fine. For taco pizza, remove 1/2c. flour from recipe and sub 1c. corn meal.

FYI, for any chicken pizza, try using rue rather than red sauce. You'll never go back!

FYI, when hosting a BBQ, make it a pizza party! Cut your dough into 1'4's and have your guests make there own pizzas kinda like one would make there own salad.

Joe, have you ever tried substituting masa harina for the cornmeal in the crusts? I sub some (about 1/4) for the yellow grits when I make a polenta that will be served with a southwestern or Mexican topping. Gives an almost tamale flavor and Jack loves it.

What is the rue you mention, other than the medicinal herb?

Edit: Joe, sorry, I should have engaged brain before starting mouth. I apologize for correcting you. ....roux, as for making a white sauce. If I'd read it out loud I would have known right away!
icon_smile.gif

Rita

LOL!!! Actually, I'm a speaker, not a speller. Never have been, never will be!

Spell "when"... "umm... w...e...n... wen" (the one spelling bee I do remember from grade school)

Flower and flour is another I normally mess up. And we cannot forget "there, their, and they're"

Belive it or not, where I'm from, any form of Masa if dificult to come by (other than your basic "corn" bread flours and meal mixes). I did use Masa Harina one time added to a basic (basic being "base" or higher pH) bread mix to make chilli bread bowls.

Anyway,
To the French! it is Roux
To the Redneck! it could be Rue
To the Pizza Hut peoples! it is Butter & Garlic Sauce.

You kids have fun!

Well, Joe, roo would work too.
icon_wink.gif

I'm a better speller than a speaker. I'm married to Jack, who is spell-challenged and who runs some of the things he writes through me. He's a good sport and calls me "the world's editor." It's a cross I have to bare. (I just couldn't help myself with that!)

It would be a dull world if we were all the same and had the same talents.

Anyway, to get the thread back on track, my next chicken pizza will be made as you suggest. I can almost taste it.

You're right about pizza parties; they *are* a lot of fun! I usually have the dough balls ready. The looks on some of the guests' faces are worth a million dollars...."I'm going to put my hands in the WHAT??" Priceless!

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
Well, Joe, roo would work too.
icon_wink.gif

Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would you use the meat off one of the animals on my country's Coat of Arms as a substitute for a sauce on a pizza? Waste of a good pizza if you ask me. (LOL)

Ohmigosh! Now I've offended TWO people! I told you I could spell better than I could speak...I'm on a roll! Who's next???
icon_eek.gif

Rita

Grilled one the other night...WOW

Used a store bought pizza dough mix. Threw some corn meal on a cookie sheet and formed my dough.
Grilled side one for 5 min, flipped for 2. Added toppings and grilled for 5 more min. Finished off under the broiler...Best pizza I have ever had!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Osborn:
Been doing pizza on the grill for years. If your a charcoal fan, use the char baskets. This lets you pre-cook the crust with direct heat, and cook the pizza with indirect heat. For the gassy person out there with a three or more burner, cook the crust with the center (one or two) burner('s) on, then turn them off to cook the pizza.

Reason I cook the crust first is because after the dough is cooked the only thing left to do is melt the cheese and heat up the toppings.

FYI, any good pizza crust recipe will work fine. For taco pizza, remove 1/2c. flour from recipe and sub 1c. corn meal.

FYI, for any chicken pizza, try using rue rather than red sauce. You'll never go back!

FYI, when hosting a BBQ, make it a pizza party! Cut your dough into 1'4's and have your guests make there own pizzas kinda like one would make there own salad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've wondered how a frozen pizza would turn out if done on the grill. Thanks for the post. I'll have to try it now.

I realize I'm digging up an old thread here, but I just tried grilling za on my Smokey Joe Silver with a 13" Pampered Chef round baking stone.

I also put a handful of wet apple wood chips on the charcoals.

Fresh raw dough from Publix. Not frozen; their bakery makes this daily and they keep it in a tiny fridge near the pastries. One wad of dough was enough for 4 approximately 10" diameter pizzas.

I made 2 pies; the first had a slightly thicker crust, and I undercooked it.

The second was paper thin and I left it to cook longer. Much better.

I wouldn't use applewood again; flavor just wasn't right for pizza.

Also I used basil paste, which I had in the fridge from one time when I couldn't find fresh basil, and figured I'd try to use it up. Mistake. Wasn't disgusting but wasn't great either.

So, I'll have to try again.

Also haven't tried frozen za yet. Even easier. Next time.

Edit: Also, I used mozzarella "pearls". Usually I would use the ball of mozzarella and slice it into thin disks, but I was lazy this time. I'd say the little pearls didn't melt right, so another failed experiment.

I screw up so you don't have to!

ya know what MG...? The neat thing about screwing up food is: Most of the time, you can STILL eet it.
So, I say, let's try this again... only different.
icon_biggrin.gif

Lotsa guys make pizza on their kettles, use the "find tab" and check out some successes for some different ideas
icon_smile.gif

Love grilled pizza! We do margerita pizzas all the time on the gasser. We do ours like Jeff's. Just all on the grill. I may have to try one on the OTS. Just for comparison!

Back