OTS grill cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Dimirsky

TVWBB Super Fan
Do you guys cover your grills with a grill cover when they sit outside or just leave them without one. I currently have the standard weber grill cover on one of my OTS grills. Of course the cats have already poked holes in it by climbing on top of it so I doubt I will be able to keep a cover on the grill.

The Customer service woman I talked to when I was talking to her about my lid, told me she never keeps a cover on her grills and doesn't recommend one because it can cause mold to grow.

What is the consensus here? Thanks.

Wayne

I live in NJ and always cover my grill. However, their was another post from Florida and they suggested not to cover the grill due to the mold problem. So I guess it depends on if you live in a high humidity area.

i gave up on covering my OTG and my WSM. it's not a hassle, but i forgot to do it 8 times out of 10 so i just gave up trying to remember to do it.

I have had my 22.5" kettle for two years, and have always kept it under a heavy duty Weber cover when not in use. I have also kept my WSM and 18.5" kettle under heavy duty covers, but I have not owned them as long. Mold has never been an issue on any of this equipment, all of which is kept outside on my patio. I live in central Connecticut - temperate climate, not particularly dry or humid.

My smoky joe silver has sat on the patio uncovered for the last year and a half, and seems no worse for wear.

Thanks for the replies. Whats your opinion on a grill cover causing the grates to rust sooner or to rust more?

My charcoal grill already has a light coating of rust on it and I've only had it for about a month. It has been pretty rainy here lately though. The grilling grill seems okay so far. Thanks.

Wayne

Wayne
The charcoal grill rusting is normal. Due to thye heat and cooling down and drawing in moistur to the surface producing oxidization. Having a cover on or off will not change the rate of oxidization very much as it happens whilst cooling. My charcoal grate started rusting when I first got my OTS it is now 20 years old and aI may consider replacing it sometime in the next 5 years.

Regards

i only cover my grills when the weather is bad/raining, etc. but then i uncover them cuz yep, i ran into mold, etc. i also do believe that they promote rusting as i get very little rust when they are uncovered. best to spray the grates with pam when left out anyway.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I guess I will probably keep the grills covered as long as the cover lasts and then just leave them uncovered. The way the weber covers are, the wind blows them off pretty easily. I think the second night I had mine we had a storm and the cover was blown off. Luckily it was still on the back porch. The grill cover for my gas grill ended up flying over the house, across the road, and hung up in a barbed wire fence. Thanks again.

Wayne

I've never run into the mold issue. I used to sell grills and I have always been of the opinion that a grill cover can make a $40 off-brand grill outlast a $150 Weber uncovered after 10 years. I have a 45 year old 18.5 that was my Grandfather's and he kept a cover on when not in use, as do I and the grill looks like it's only 3 years old as opposed to pushing the half century mark.

I only cover the grills in the winter months, but like others the Performer gets missed most of the time. It's the grill that get used more often than the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back