Hot Chile Cherry Wings

G

Thought that I would make a contribution to the board. I love doing my own wings on the smoker ,..way better than deep fried rubber at the sports bar.

You don't need a water pan, but you will want to use some hickory or fruitwood chunks for flavor. I use a higher temp than for smoking ribs and place the wings on a grate on the same height as where my water pan would go.

Coat your wings lightly with veg oil and sprinkle with fave rub (I use Wild Willies from Smoke and Spice).
Grill until starting to crisp, remove and toss with the following sauce:

1/2 cup Franks hot sauce
2 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp ketchup
1Tbsp rub
1 1/2 Tbsp cherry preserves
1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
1 tsp fresh black pepper

put coated wings in pan, put in 350 degree oven for 10 min >the sauce will get a little tacky

so good yo'd slap yo momma to git some!

Sounds great. I've got some dried Chipotle peppers just sittin' around waiting for me to do something with them. This sounds perfect.

Man those wings are the greatest. That sauce is outstanding. I used some Polaner All fruit wild cherry preserves. Also kicked it up a little with extra cayanne. Thanks for the recipie. Outstanding /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.franksredhot.com/

Brought to you by the same folks that make French's mustard, Cattleman's BBQ sauce, and Lysol. Seriously.

I'm not knocking the product. The diversity of the product lines of some of these international conglomerates just amazes me.

Regards,
Chris

I just use what ever hot sauce that I have handy. In this case I used a whole bottle of chipotle hot sauce. Plus about a heaping tablespoon of cayanne pepper. I like it extra hot. I like to make a recipie my own by adding my own personel touches. I believe that any recipie is just a guide line to go by, no matter what I am making. But most of all I like to have fun with it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Going to try mark's recipe....using guava preserves (that's all I could get) instead of cherry, and Crystal Louisiana hot sauce (that's all I could get). Every thing else the same...except I'm going to raise my smoker temp and finish them there not in oven. Should I use a pan for the second cook?

How long for first cook and second cook and temp. suggestions please.

Thank you.

Hoping for some tasty wings!

Aloha!

Greg Kemp

Wow! Hot stuff. Mark should have made a warning label!! I added some brown sugar and a little more ketchup to help. Man they were good! My 13 year old sone liked 'em but said they could be less hot next time.

Cooked it for an hour and a half at 225 steady then mixed in the goody sauce put in a pan back in smoker for another 30 minutes with the temp up to 250.

Sticky sweet and spicy.

thanks Mark!

Aloha!

Greg
4509704604.jpg

Just made these wings today (labor day)... quite good. I will certainly make them again.

Thanks for the recipe,
Josh

Looks too good to not try. I'm going to try this on my kettle grill for more space though. I've got friends that will eat 15-20 wings at a sitting (I'm good for at least that many myself) so I'll need to do a bunch.

Hillson,

I'm sure that works well too, but be sure to add smoke.... I enjoyed the extra layer of flavor by having the wings smoked... Thats my two cents.

Josh

Those were the costco bag-o-wings. I'll be doing the whole bag this weekend for my moms birthday. She loves hot wings!

My wife said they were too hot and burned her lips. Funny though how there was a big pile of bones on her plate and she ate the rest for lunch the next day! I have some thighs also that I want to do the same as the wings. hot thighs. Anybody tried that one?

Greg

Made the wings for a Hurricane Katrina benefit bbq. They were a big hit! Several people brought wings, but these went the fastest by far.

Two things I did differently are 1) I made them on my gasser because I wanted a crispy skin under the sauce. I used a smoker box (yes I know it's cheating but it was for a worthy cause) to add a bit of smoke flavor, and 2) I lightly sprinkled a little extra rub on the sauced wings to brighen it up a bit.

My mom LOVED her wings! Great b-day for her. I did one and a half costco bag...15 lbs.! I did3 types:

Plain with a little homemade rub, one with the same rub but put back in for 45 more minutes in a pan with the above hot wing sauce and one we had with teriyaki sauce which had been marinating for 24 hours and shook gently every few hours. We put them in a pan with fresh teri sauce again same as hotwings so they all got a crispy outside skin.

Everyone seemed to like the teriyaki the best. I liked the hotwings A LOT but after eating some teriyaki marinated and glazed wings I realized why they liked them. They were downright yummy for lack of culinary adjectives. We ended up putting the plain ones in the remaining teri sauce and eating them.

Next time we will make 2/3 teriyaki and 1/3 hotwings.

The teriyaki is on the bottom rack. I cooked indirect at 225-250 for 1.5 hours then 45 more minutes in pan with sauce exept for plain, they just stayed on the grill.

sorry dial up user but worth the wait!

icon_wink.gif
4509873400.jpg

Back