Like a Drum, but better?

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
When I looked to add a third smoker a few months back, I strongly considered the Deluxe Big Drum smoker. I hesitated due to the price, plus the expensive shipping, and ended up adding a 3rd WSM.

Of course, not too much later Chris breaks the news of the 22" WSM....

I don't see any reason that this new WSM can't perform just as good, if not better, than the drums. One of the things I didn't like about the drums was having to dump the charcoal by tipping the whole drum over. I'll take the small air gaps in the wsm for the break down convenience.

So, by removing the water pan completely, I don't see any reason why this wouldn't function just like a big drum. If they come in around $400, it will be several dollars less as well.

I of course need to get one now.
icon_smile.gif
And then I have to promise my wife, no more smokers!

By extension, do you mean something like a stacker? No, I have not. I'm happy with the current set up I use in competitions with the 3 I have. I like to have 1 cooker for each meat so I can do what I want with the wood, temps, etc. specific to that meat. I currently do my chicken on a kettle, but prefer to use my WSM for it. But, chicken loses the battle when it comes down to the pork butts, brisket and ribs. They deserve the smoker more. A new one would allow me to add chicken to the WSM as I prefer and leave the kettle on my deck.

An extension wouldn't help me, but something that allows for 3 flat slabs of ribs, or 2 packers, on 1 top rack, is appealing.

Take a look around the BDS site at the Awards links, a lot of teams are doing well in Chicken with the drums. I've been using them in my first year competing and got a couple 2nd Place finishes. People have told me they used to cook direct with their WSM for chicken but felt the results were too "creosote-y" and stopped. I've received comment cards that echoed the same sentiment. The two times I used the WSM for thighs, I got 5th and 11th. The drum is just another tool in the box.

Let me start by saying I own a WSM and I wish it had been the FIRST smoker I bought. Sadly it wasn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> One of the things I didn't like about the drums was having to dump the charcoal by tipping the whole drum over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recently finished my drum and made a removeable charcoal basket which makes clean up a whole lot easier. The drum performs well but I still may add another WSM to my growing collection of pits.

drumdone3.jpg

Mike

Back