Overnight at the cottage

simon j

TVWBB Fan
So here's a little concern of mine.

I'm going to be taking my beloved WSM 18" to the cottage this weekend and will be smoking overnight no doubt.

I assume the smell of the smoker will attract unwanted racoons and bears.

I'm afraid to wake up in the morning and have my WSM toppled over and the meat gone ?????

I was planning on spreading critter ritter around the cottage entrance.

I don't have any other repellents other than my young nephew to stand on guard ?? hah hah !

Anyone have any similar experiences ? Or sugggestions of what to do ?

We live on the edge of a good amount of forest and never had any issues like that. I've always assumed that the smoke and the heat of the unit would keep any critters away...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by simon j:
So here's a little concern of mine.

I'm going to be taking my beloved WSM 18" to the cottage this weekend and will be smoking overnight no doubt.

I assume the smell of the smoker will attract unwanted racoons and bears.

I'm afraid to wake up in the morning and have my WSM toppled over and the meat gone ?????

I was planning on spreading critter ritter around the cottage entrance.

I don't have any other repellents other than my young nephew to stand on guard ?? hah hah !

Anyone have any similar experiences ? Or sugggestions of what to do ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If ya get the bear that turns it over, that's just more to smoke.....
icon_wink.gif

I guess that would be smoky bear...

I would be more worried about a line of people standing by the smoker when you looked out at it from the smell more than the critters.

thanks for asking. It was Fantastic ! the temperatures got below 200F around 6:00am but my b-inlaw took care of adding more coals and around 11:30am took off the butt and then let it sit for another hour. It was the best pulled pork I had ever made. No raccoons nor bears which was good. Only a little fox came out to check it out. Good cottage area location I guess. I made a mustard base sauce , added the buns and the cottagers ate like savages..

this wasn't anywhere near Wild Rose/Wautoma Wisconsin area, was it?
seems everytime I'm up there, I smell someone's smoke.

Back