Leg of Lamb Weber Rotisserie (22.5")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent

I received a weber one touch for my birthday(22.5" diameter), and I bought the rotisserie attachment. After my first cook I'm kind of disappointed. The lamb wasn't bad, but I didn't get the crust I was looking for; and I'm wondering what I did wrong.

The Meat:
-Let it sit out for 1 hour.
-Started with a boneless leg of lamb already wrapped in a string net. (Costco)
-Made several shallow incissions and inserted rosemarry and garlic.
-Added several sprigs of rosemary on the outside of the leg under the mesh.
-Generously seasoned with kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper and drizzled with olive oil.
-Skewered the roast as instructed

The Grill
-I started the coals in my chimney starter.
-Poured the coals into the fuel holder baskets for the indirect setup (25 coals per side).
-Put a drip tray in between the fuel baskets
-Setup the rotisserie
-Added some soaked hickory chips
-Basted every 20 minutes
-40 minutes in I added 7 coals to each side.

After 1 hour and 20 minutes the roast was at 148. I took it out and wrapped it in foil. 15 minutes later I carved it up. I intentionally cooked the meat a little more than I would for myself, it tasted ok, but there was no crust. It would have been better if I'd seared it and finished it off the heat. Was my fire not hot enough? With a rotisserie should I forget the instructions and cook it over direct heat? Should I have rewrapped the roast tighter? I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Brent

as i'm not one to worry about crust much i havn't worked on it. that being said you can get a crust by making sure you have hot coals and then stop the rotisserie, then let it sit till crusty in that position and then rotate again and again till its crusty to yer satisfaction.

Brent

You did most things right and whilst the the Lamb wasn't exactly like you wanted, it would have been great. Wrapping it in foil has a tendancy to soften the outer layer.

When you use the rotisserie you are lifting it higher from the fire and continually turning, allowing the fat and juices to keep all outside moist whereas if it was stationary only the bottom would be soft.

To overcome this increase the amount of heat beads to about 30 a side, vents fully opened, char baskets about 2 - 3 inches apart and make a sort of a tray out of a doubled over sheet of foil to fit between the char baskets. Adjust the position of the char baskets so the fat/juices does not drip on the fire. It is better to use charcoal than briquettes when using a rotisserie.
Charcoal burns hotter and gives more flavour.

Loosely tent with foil to rest or better still cover with a teatowel I use an old roasting rack placed upside down over the meat and several teatowels covering that to slow the cooling process when resting and wanting to maintain a degree of crustiness.

Next time you do the lamb try rubbing a little lemon juice in and then squeezing a little lemon juice over it 1/2 way throgh the cook. You will be surprised at how good the flavour comes out.

Hope this helps.
Regards

I thin I'm going to move the coals to the center for part of the cook to get a sear. The only rotisserie experience I've had was with one of those ron popeil ones. I never had a problem with a sear on that thing, and the heat was always direct concentrated at one point. So I thought it was strange when the weber directions said to do the cook indirect only.

Do you guys do the same with chickens? Indirect heat?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
Brent

You did most things right and whilst the the Lamb wasn't exactly life you wanted, it would have been great. Wrapping it in foil has a tendancy to soften the outer layer.

Whe you use the rotisserie you are lifting it higher from the fire and continually turning allowing the fat and juices to keep all outside moist whereas if it was stationary only the bottom would be soft.

To overcome this increase the amount of heat beads to about 30 a side, vents fully opened,, char baskets about 2 - 3 inches apart and make a sort of a tray out of a doubled over sheet of foil to fit between the char baskets. Adjust the position of the char baskets so the fat/juices does not drip on the fire. It is better to use charcoal than briquettes when using a rotisserie.
Charcoal burns hotter and gives more flavour.

Loosely tent with foil to rest or better still cover with a teatowel I use an old roasting rack placed upside down over the meat and several teatowels covering that to slow the cooling process when resting and wanting to maintain a degree of crustiness.

Next time you do the lamb try rubbing a little lemon juice in and then squeezing a little lemon juice over it 1/2 way throgh the cook. You will be surprised at how good the flavour comes out.

Hope this helps.
Regards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are some good tips, thanks Phil. The reason I don't use lump is that I'm in an apartment and that stuff sparks like crazy. Do you have any pointers on safely lighting lump charcoal?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Those are some good tips, thanks Phil. The reason I don't use lump is that I'm in an apartment and that stuff sparks like crazy. Do you have any pointers on safely lighting lump charcoal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never lived in an apartment so these are only general comments.

The very nature of charcoal means that it will splutter and spark a bit. Make sure there is a clear area around the kettle and a clear area above and go for it. Light the charcoal direct in the char baskets rather than transfering from a chimney. However, make sure you comply with local fire regulations.

Regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Those are some good tips, thanks Phil. The reason I don't use lump is that I'm in an apartment and that stuff sparks like crazy. Do you have any pointers on safely lighting lump charcoal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never lived in an apartment so these are only general comments.

The very nature of charcoal means that it will splutter and spark a bit. Make sure there is a clear area around the kettle and a clear area above and go for it. Light the charcoal direct in the char baskets rather than transfering from a chimney. However, make sure you comply with local fire regulations.

Regards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I live on the second floor and I have a roof overhang. I tried using lump a few weeks back and I did take the precautions, and I had some water on standbye. I'm going to try and use the lump without the chimney and try your other suggestions as well. Your more direct setup sits well with me.

Thanks,
Brent

Brent,

I used my lid a deflector of sorts. Once I have a few coals well lit I will set the lid back on the kettle in an off center position, making sure that the lid is over the coals and that I am not restricting air flow. The thought being that the sparks have a short life, and they expire by time they escape from under the lid. (I have thought of purchasing a splatter screen like those used in the kitchen, but I don't know if they would hold up). It might not be the best way to establish a ripping hot fire, but for longer indirect and rotisserie cooking I've had no problems. I don't let the kettle go unattended for any period of time during startup, but it does seems to minimize the firework display.

I hope this helps.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back