Thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

In going through all of the info on the site, it looks like I'll need a thermometer.

I went into the suggested site , and in looking at the units, wanted to know whether I should opt for the 4 inch or 6 inch stem. I don't have my unit yet, so I can't tell which would be best....just wanted to get ahead of the game.

Also , should I go with the 250 or 550 degree unit. They don't differ much in price, but wanted some opinions.

Thanks,

Steve in Mpls

WELCOME Steve!!!

I assume you are looking for a thermo for the WSM unit. Have you considered buying what we folks call a POLDER? This is a temp probe with a long, thin cord that attaches to a unit that sits outside the smoker. I have used this type of thermo with fabulous results..matter of fact I now have a few of them. I use them to monitor the temp on BOTH grills AND one for the meat.

I was hesitant to start drilling a hole on my unit. But, that is more my lack of experience with a drill. Also, if you just stick it through the top vent hole, the reading will be a little higher than the actual temp at grill level.

I find the POLDER is much more versatile. If you just buy 1, you can monitor the temp, at grill level, and then when the meat is close to being done, you can check the internal meat temp with it!

Whatever you decide...GOOD LUCK!!

The Trend thermometer with 6" stem works well through one of the top vent holes, as seen in the pics on the website. You will be measuring a higher temp than what's happening at the cooking grates...usually 10-15*F higher at the lid than at the grates. When I want 225*F on the grate, I shoot for 235-240*F on the lid thermometer.

Go with the 550*F model, as you can get temps over 250*F when firing up the unit.

A Polder works great, too. Many folks use both a lid thermometer and a Polder together.

Info on Polders and where to get them can be found on the Resources page. They can also be found under different names/labels at Barbecues Galore, William-Sonoma, Bed Bath & Beyond, and some Radio Shacks.

Thanks for all of your help.

I ordered the Polder.

Can't wait for Old Smokey to arrive.

TTYL,

Steve in Mpls

Admittedly after only two uses of my Polder and WSM, my experience is that by just sticking the Probe into the vent, I get a pretty accurate reading.

As a matter of fact , the results would seem to be that if it says 250 , the meat is cooking at 250 etc. While most feel that the temperature on the grates are lower , my food seems to be getting a little more well done that I expect ..after following the recipes and fuel directions to a tee.

Just my limited experience

Steve

Steve,
Next time you light it up do some testing! Once the unit is up to temp, measure the temp at both grill levels and in the top vent. Ideally you could use 2 Polders, one for each grate, and then a simple high temp thermo placed in the top vent.

You will find there is a difference in the top grate and the vent hole. Depending on how long your stem is, that temp differential is between 10-20 degrees. You should also see a slightly lower temp in your bottom grate.

Let us know if you do this!!

Stogie

If you go to the FAQ page on the website and scroll down to the question, "What's the difference in temperature measured through the lid versus at each cooking grate?, you'll find some documents you can download that show temperature measurements I've taken in the Weber Bullet through the lid and on the grates. It should be noted that these were just "temperature experiments" where I fired up the cooker but didn't actually cook anything.

If you visit The Renowned Mr. Brown page and scroll down to the table showing temps, you can see lid and top grate temps measured while cooking pork butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back