2 cups cider vinegar
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cuup firmly packed brown sugar, or more to taste
5 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
4 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

Simmer the sauce until desired thickness.

I was just looking for a recipe for this - thanks for posting. How does it come out? I love the vinegar based bbq sauce.

Thanks

For my NC BBQ sauce I do not use the ketchup variety. That is more of the Western NC sauce.

Here is my Eastern vinegar sauce recipe.

Cider vinegar
H20
half an onion sliced
one jalepeno (take the peppr and make slits down the sides from the stem...do not seperate)
sugar
crushed rep pepper flakes

I let it combine in the frige for 12 hours and then drain. I serve out of a small tipped squeeze bottle.

I don't have measurmebts because I do it a little differet each time. Just do it to taste and you'll be fine.

Thanks for posting this, Jim!

Copied and pasted for my first pork butt when I fire up my WSM for the first time later this week.
icon_biggrin.gif

How would i make tha pork like Allen and Sons in Hillsborough NC? I visitin in that area and ate it. My wife really likes it, so maybe I should learn how to do it.

Thier ribs were to die for too, with a vinegary sauce but not quite as sharp tasting as the pork sauce.

I just made a Mr. Brown and tried some of this sauce, and some of the Carolina Red. The Carolina Red tasted like ketchup and vinegar, this one had just the right kick. This has a permanent place in my Sauce Cookbook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Evan T:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Elsie D.:
What's a Mr. Brown? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My goodness, and to think I even have the book!

That sauce is OK, (although as noted, it's more Piedmont/Western NC style) but I don't know of any real pig chef in NC, west or east, that uses a rub besides salt and maybe pepper.

I know people love the Mr. Brown rub, but it's not authentic.

But that's OK too--as the unofficial motto of this site says, as long as it tastes good to you, it's all good.

BTW, if you love NC barbecue (and esp. if you live/lived there), you have to own the book Holy Smoke.

(and although I'm in Buffalo now, I'm a Tar Heel by birth and most of my life!)

I tried this rub and sauce recipe this weekend. Turned out very good. The family wasn't too excited about the concept of a vinegar based sauce, so when I pulled the pork, I split 1/3 of the meat out and used the finshing sauce on it. This is my first experience with vinegar based sauces. Adds a good flavor to the meat. I can't say it's my new favorite, but it has earned a place in my fridge and will use it in the future. Gonna try it on some spare ribs, maybe next weekend, instead of my typical foiling with apple juice.

Corey... PLEASE, just try this recipe... I think it is best I have found for pulled pork..
Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

(an outstanding recipe by professional chef "Chez" John Eddy of Topeka, KS. Somewhat similar to Blues Hog Tennessee Red in some ways)

1 quart cider vinegar
12 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 T red pepper flakes
2 T salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp celery seed
2 T Worcestershire sauce
Juice of one lemon
1 T chipotle powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 T onion powder

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool, and bottle. Great with Carolina style pulled pork BBQ sands. AND YOU GOTTA KNOW!!!!!! Pulled pork is served on a hamburger bun with a pile of pulled pork; squirt some sauce on it; pile some cole slaw on it.... trust me, you can tell everyone it was YOUR idea... I will never tell
icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Craig, When I made this I just used some sauce from a can of Chipotles in Adobo Sauce. About 1-2 tsp. if I remember. Then you can make some of Bryan S. Chipotle Mayannaise -see: Rubs, Marinades, etc. forum. It is sooo good. Great with PP, on fries, burgers....anything!. It wouls be really good on a Skyline Coney w/cheese & onions.

And Ralph is right, this Piedmont sauce is GREAT. Not too many here in centeral Ohio know what true BBQ is like, but I'm doing my best to spread the word. Have fun with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig C:
Where do you find chipotle powder. I'm having trouble. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Craig, Here and or here. I order from both places, both have top notch stuff.
icon_wink.gif

How long will this keep in the refrigerator?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ralph Grunz:
Corey... PLEASE, just try this recipe... I think it is best I have found for pulled pork..
Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

(an outstanding recipe by professional chef "Chez" John Eddy of Topeka, KS. Somewhat similar to Blues Hog Tennessee Red in some ways)

1 quart cider vinegar
12 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 T red pepper flakes
2 T salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp celery seed
2 T Worcestershire sauce
Juice of one lemon
1 T chipotle powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 T onion powder

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool, and bottle. Great with Carolina style pulled pork BBQ sands. AND YOU GOTTA KNOW!!!!!! Pulled pork is served on a hamburger bun with a pile of pulled pork; squirt some sauce on it; pile some cole slaw on it.... trust me, you can tell everyone it was YOUR idea... I will never tell
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r tapia:
How long will this keep in the refrigerator? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
r, here's a link to the recipe thread on this sauce. That same ? was asked there, and answered. It has a pretty long shelf life with all that vinegar in there, I'd just worry about the fresh lemon juice after a month or two. Link to the FJ's sauce thread.

Clay, this is REALLY close to what I was raised to do. Or as we say in Eastern NC, "ketchup for your fries and mustard for your dog." No tomato-product goes near Eastern NC sauce. Now, Lexington, or Western is different and while raised in Western NC, love Eastern style as most Western NCers often secretly do!

Back