How to Adjust the bottom vents?

Darrel Williams

TVWBB Super Fan
a wise man once said "You can't live with them. You can't live without them. VENTS!"

Which is better and more reliable approach, if I want the bottom vents 33% open in total?

Method 1:
All vents about 1/3 open

Method 2:
Two vents closed, one open full?

Whatever fraction I chose above, do you use that fraction on all vents? Or do you open one at a time until that one is full open then move to the next one?

I open everything up at the start and when I get to 250 I shut 2 completely down and shut the third half way. I can lock in for a long cook with this setup. If temp starts to drop I open the half one all the way open and pretty much only adjust that one for the rest of the cook.

Darrel, I find that it is alway better to use the most simple method. If one vent will accomplish the goal use it. If it won't then adjust another. I also read somewhere that others using the Weber like to stick to one vent if possible. The other variable being is, do you want the temp going up, going down, or staying still?

Mark

I initially used one vent for control once she reached my desired temp, but for some reason I kept getting uneven burn on the charcoal ring. I started using more lit at startup (via minion method of course), and used all 3 vents, and the burn is much more even. Can't say what caused the change as I did a couple variable together, but 3 equally opened work for me.

Back