Newbie in local contest just looking for suggestions

Brad W

TVWBB Super Fan
I've never entered a BBQ contest before and have actually only been to a couple, so this is all a new experience for me. Out little town is holding their first comp in late June. It's not a KCBS comp as the KCBS told the city to get a comp under their belts first but it part of the Iowa BBQ Society. I'm doing for the fun of it as I have no grand delusions of doing well, though I wouldn't mind getting back a little money. I have a little reputation from doing a lot of bbq for local fundraisers and have enough business selling on the side that I turn people away, so people had been bugging me for the last couple of months to enter. So I did.

I really don't have a specific question but more of general request for ideas what to expect. I have my recipes for what I cook, for better or worse, so I really don't have questions about that. I have a 22 and 18 WSM along with a 22 and 18 kettle. I'll be doing all four categories plus a public comp with the supplied pork loin. It will be me and maybe my 18y/o son overnight, probably my wife the next morning along with some son time, so I'm pretty much really going solo on this. So here are a few things I've thought about.

1) Scheduling with turn in times. What type of scheduling should I look at, more specifically finishing times for holding meats? Based off that I can schedule start times. I will be using heavy duty coolers with wool blankets & aluminum foil to hold meats.

2) Presentation. How serious should I get about this, especially being more of a local judging event? I know how to make "nice" but I've also heard of people spending hours on their presentation so how far should I go with this?

3) Equipment ideas for booth. I have a covering, access to tables, cooking equipment and cleaning/sanitizing stuff, plus what I need to stay overnight. Any suggestions or things to watch for in this area?

Again, I'm taking this seriously but am in it more for the experience, helping promote the contest for the future and maybe adding a little business to my very part-time bbq and homebrewing business, along with meeting a bunch of great people. So anything you may suggest would be helpful.

First you'll need one of these: BBQ Comp Checklist
This may help you with your timing:Oakridge Timesheet

Presentation does count. The old adage, "They eat with their eyes first", holds true. Even just some green leaf lettuce (not iceburg) to frame up the meat always look nice. Maybe 10 mins per tray at most. Then place the meat neatly in your frame.

Good luck and have fun!

I'll chime in on 1) - scheduling: use your instincts and experience for holding times - know that brisket and pork hold better than ribs and chicken. You would be well advised to do a couple FULL run-throughs based on the turn-in schedule for your comp to get a feel for when you'll actually need to start things.

Since it's your first try and not KCBS, just focus on putting out the high-quality BBQ that has your customers making lots of orders for your food. Taste is most important...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fred nevill:
Lakefest?? If so I will see you there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep Lakefest. As of this morning there were 16 teams signed up (24 limit). Should be a good time. Come look me up, Back Porch Brew Crew, I'll be the most non-professional looking team there ;-).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
First you'll need one of these: BBQ Comp Checklist
This may help you with your timing:Oakridge Timesheet

Presentation does count. The old adage, "They eat with their eyes first", holds true. Even just some green leaf lettuce (not iceburg) to frame up the meat always look nice. Maybe 10 mins per tray at most. Then place the meat neatly in your frame.

Good luck and have fun! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. Wasn't planning on skimping the presentation but won't be OCD about it either. Thanks for the links too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
I'll chime in on 1) - scheduling: use your instincts and experience for holding times - know that brisket and pork hold better than ribs and chicken. You would be well advised to do a couple FULL run-throughs based on the turn-in schedule for your comp to get a feel for when you'll actually need to start things.

Since it's your first try and not KCBS, just focus on putting out the high-quality BBQ that has your customers making lots of orders for your food. Taste is most important... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am planning a full run though the weekend before using up some excess freezer meat (have my orders in for fresh stuff already). I do see this as more of a business promotion and will be focusing on my recipes, even if they are not as competition "normal" as others may be.

The public pork loin contest will be the most interesting as they are providing the meat (there's a local Tyson pork plant here, I'm sure they are a sponsor) so I have no idea what I will be starting with until that Friday night.

First ever competition for us. Oversize Load BBQ I will be the fattest guy wearing a blue Texas Rangers jersey there. Ok probably ONLY guy wearing a Rangers jersey. Me and my wife and my son-in-law will be doing the pork loin for us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fred nevill:
First ever competition for us. Oversize Load BBQ I will be the fattest guy wearing a blue Texas Rangers jersey there. Ok probably ONLY guy wearing a Rangers jersey. Me and my wife and my son-in-law will be doing the pork loin for us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look forward to meeting you
icon_smile.gif

Back