ABT'S

chris comer

TVWBB Super Fan
Thinking of doing some ABT'S for the first time with ribs tomorrow. Should I do these on the grill or find room to toss them in the smoker. Do they go directly on the grates, I saw a picture where someone had them in pans. Larry Wolfe I think you stated in a post earlier this week that you were able to load a half dozen racks of spares on the WSM. How are you doing that, I have to cut my spares in half and get 2 racks per grate using a rib rack along with trimmings(St Louis style)? Thanks.....Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chris comer:
Thinking of doing some ABT'S for the first time with ribs tomorrow. Should I do these on the grill or find room to toss them in the smoker. Do they go directly on the grates, I saw a picture where someone had them in pans. Larry Wolfe I think you stated in a post earlier this week that you were able to load a half dozen racks of spares on the WSM. How are you doing that, I have to cut my spares in half and get 2 racks per grate using a rib rack along with trimmings(St Louis style)? Thanks.....Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris here are pic's with 4 racks full racks of St.Louis trimmed spares, cut in half. You can get 6 on by laying 1 other split rack ontop of of the racks in the rib racks and the other rack angled on the corners of the racks in the rib rack. The only downfall is you will need to rotate the ribs one time through the cook for even cooking. Other than that, typical rib cook.

ribs.jpg
ribs2.jpg
ribs3.jpg
ribs4.jpg

Larry thanks for the tip. That's alot of meat on 1 grate. I've never had the need for more than 3 racks so far, but after reading your post I wanted to know how you were loading them, just in case I get motivated to host a big eat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chris comer:
NO POINTERS on the ABT'S? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only have 1 suggestions........... Make more than you need, because people get addicted to them!!

Here's how I do them.

10 - Large Jalapeno Peppers
8oz - Cream Cheese
1/2lb - Pulled Pork
1lb - Cheap Bacon (thinner is better)
Your favorite BBQ Rub to taste

Slice peppers length wise and scoop out the seeds and membrane with a spoon. Thoroughly combine cream cheese, pulled pork and season to taste with the rub. Fill each pepper half with enough of the mixture to completely fill pepper half. Wrap each pepper with a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick if needed. Give another light dusting of rub and cook indirect until bacon is rendered and crisp. You want to cook these slow to soften and sweeten the peppers and to slowly render out the fat from the bacon.

3-3-08015-1.jpg
3-3-08030.jpg
3-3-08024.jpg
3-3-08047.jpg

Larry

Your ABT's look great!
I'm going to try these for the first time Sat.
Does the bacon get crisp enough or could I precook the bacon before rolling to give them a head start.

ps: Love my primo extender grates! Thanks

I fix my ABT's exactly like Larry,and there great. And like he said,you can't make enough of these.I made some a couple days ago,and they went quick.

robert, hey neighbor! definitely make extras, as i might be "accidentally" stumble into your backyard just as the abt's are coming off.

I was going to make ABTs today, but I couldn't find jalapenos. Apparently, at least here in NJ, they and serranos have been pulled due to the salmonella scare.

Right on Mosef. I'll make enough. Where's the best place to get peppers?

HEy Bob, sorry for ripping on you on your eyelet thread. I hope it's an easy fix. I'll send you some ABTS too if there's any left when Mosef & I are done with 'em. lol...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Porter:
I was going to make ABTs today, but I couldn't find jalapenos. Apparently, at least here in NJ, they and serranos have been pulled due to the salmonella scare. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't get locked into those two types of peppers. I ate some ABTs that were made with anaheim peppers and they were some of the best I've had. Great flavor and not a lot of heat.

Larry - looks like you were cooking over the fire, but indirect by use of HD foil? Just curious if the foil was left over the coals the whole time?

Looks great!

Call this a silly question,but what does ABT stand for? They look absolutely delicious!!! DROOL! Gonna have to make me some.

I do thinks those abt's look awsome, and think that i may have to give them a try.
My question is about how long does it take for them to get done on the smoker, at what temp?
Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Call this a silly question,but what does ABT stand for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You asked so... Atomic Buffalo Turd.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back