ET-73 Switch

Jim Baker

TVWBB Super Fan
I've read on some threads that the ET-73 has the on/off switch inside the battery door. I just received mine and the switch is on the back both units. Very easy to get to. Possible redesign?

On my Maverick ET-73, purchased in December 2006, the On/Off switch on the outside back of the base (indoors) unit. It's inside the battery door of the remote unit (unit with temperature probes).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Baker:
I've read on some threads that the ET-73 has the on/off switch inside the battery door. I just received mine and the switch is on the back both units. Very easy to get to. Possible redesign? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! That must be a redesign - that is my number one annoyance with the ET-73. Especially combined with the need, as Paul mentioned, to turn on the receiver before the the transmitter.

Cool.

I just received mine in the mail yesterday, and its the model in which the on/off switch is behind the battery door.

I purchased mine through gadgetsource.com.

Probably need to be careful what you wish for in this case. The outdoor unit is made for"outdoors". How element proof is it now if the new switch is on the outside????
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Probably need to be careful what you wish for in this case. The outdoor unit is made for"outdoors". How element proof is it now if the new switch is on the outside????
icon_rolleyes.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

excactly. the et73 is weather proof(not water tight) if you notice there ia a rubber gasket around where the door mates with the body. if the switch were on the outside it would allow water to get in. it's not a real problem for me since i have a table next to the WSM and don't have the stand on it. i just lay it on the table.

*** Scratch that.
I got the Remote Check ET-73.....

Dang POS keeps disconnecting too. Every hour or so I have to go shut everything down and restart the Mav.
Not thrilled by that, but I'll see if it's "the yard" as many radio issues have been noticed over time...

Make sure you have fresh batteries. I use rechargables and the Maverick ET-73 tends to disconnect if I don't have a fresh charge.

Paul,

Yes the remote still has to be on first. I am getting ready to use it for the first time this weekend for a couple of butts.

Oops....seems my new Maverick is an "ET-7". I ordered a "ET-73". Sorry for the false hopes!!! Will I still be able to monitor smoker temps and have an alarm go off if the temp gets too high/low? I'm guessing I can use the second meat probe as a smoker probe?? Ideas? Should I send it back?

Jim, you should be able to use this like an ET-73. Just stick one of the probes through a small potato to monitor the grill/smoker temps and the other into the meat.

John

Jim, I have an ET-7, don't know about monitoring pit temps with it. It is real handy when cooking a butt over a brisket or when 2 butts are of a different weight.

The ET-73 will monitor your food temp with a high temp alarm, and it will monitor your pit temp with both high and low temp alarms.

I sometimes get confused (how many adult beverages????) and stick BOTH probes into the meat - either monitor two different places or two different pieces of meat.

With the ET-73 you can set the alarm temps - you don't set if to "BEEF" if your doing a brisket - you can set it to 165* - foiling time, or you can set it to 185* - time to start checking for resistance with the probe.

I have and like the ET-73 except for problems with range and losing connection

Thanks for the input, guys. I think I will keep the ET-7 and use it for cooking different meat sizes. I will order another ET-73 and hopefully get the right one this time or I will send it back. A guy can't have too many toys can he?
icon_biggrin.gif

Got my ET-73 yesterday. I'll give it a try soon. I can now use my "other" ET-73 to monitor temps of meat on the bottom grate! I'm glad they sent the right one this time.

Back