Attn: Cheapskates

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Today I continued my unscientific research into how small an amount of charcoal can be used successfully in a WSM. I filled the chamber about 1/4 full (not fully covering the bottom row of vent holes). I then added about 20 hot coals from my chimney. I assembled the cooker and filled the water pan, and when the temp reached 270 degrees, I added a few chunks of hickory and put a chicken on. I cooked the chicken for 4 1/2 hours, at a steady lid temp of 260 degrees. After supper, I checked the WSM and found that there were still a few unburnt coals! I am convinced that, using the Minion method, you can use a very small amount of coals for a 5-6 hour cooking session. I figure I used about 5 pounds of Kingsford today. And by the way, the chicken (which was brined overnight, nekkid otherwise) was great!

Happy trails.
Steve

Good observation. I have seen similar results with my WSM which always runs hot. I normally cook ribs for about 5 hours with 1/3 to 1/2 full charcoal chamber. This is the only way to use fully lit charcoal and get the temp down to 225. Otherwise, I have to use the Minion method for keeping temps down around 225 for extended times, such as when I cook a boston butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back