Weber Chimney

S Mitchell

TVWBB Pro
Could someone give me an idea of the rough dimensions of the Weber charcoal chimney please? I have two off brands that are not long for this world and everyone here seems to love them. The pictures I have seen make them look bigger than the ones I have. Also, do you recommend getting two, or is one enough?

<STRIKE>If</STRIKE> when you get the Weber model, flipping the great will increse it's capacity. It also puts the fuel closer to the ignition source.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac McClure:
<STRIKE>If</STRIKE> when you get the Weber model, flipping the great will increse it's capacity. It also puts the fuel closer to the ignition source. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to the charcoal marks on my patio, it also makes the chimney hard to balance on a gasser side burner.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin W:
According to the charcoal marks on my patio, it also makes the chimney hard to balance on a gasser side burner.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> I never had a problem with that. I'm using oiled paper towels or Weber Lighter Cubes nowadays.

Let me clarify...If the grate is reversed, the downward grate will hit the side burner requiring you to use the side burner rack. THAT's what's really easy for the chimney to fall off of because the diameter of the chimney is about the exact same as the side burner rack. At least, that is the case on my Genesis Silver.

I actually have two chimney starters (got one for free off Craigslist and already had one). I keep one normal for the side burner and one reverses for the performer starter or anything else I decide to use.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">At least, that is the case on my Genesis Silver. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was doing mine on a SS Amana Grill. I'm glad you explained the problem. I've been on the hunt for an older Genesis just to be able to cannibalize it for the side burner feature. I have plans for a souped up Performer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac McClure:
...I've been on the hunt for an older Genesis just to be able to cannibalize it for the side burner feature. I have plans for a souped up Performer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK now THAT sounds like fun. Can't wait to see the pictures.
icon_smile.gif

As to whether you need two -- I don't think so. You say you have two off brand, Shane. Have you used both at the same time?

I have an off brand and got a Weber after almost burning myself (poor design and construction) with the off brand. I haven't had any need for the off brand since, though I still keep it. (Right now it stores my skewers -- how's THAT for a "necessary" function?
icon_confused.gif

Rich

Yes, I have used two before, but they are only 6" in diameter and 7" tall to the grate. A fully loaded Weber model will probably be perfect. Huh, it's almost like it's designed that way!
icon_wink.gif

I started off with an off brand chimney. Worked good for MM,but when I got my OTS a couple of years ago,I told the missus I needed a Weber chimney. Gave the off brand to my neighbor who got a side fire box for his half charcoal/half gasser grill.

Back