Jim Minion, what is aged brisket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Jim, I have seen you make reference to "aged brisket." Can you tell us a little about that? How to buy it? What to look for? What is the process for "aged brisket?" You know what I mean.

Take care.

Bruce
We had our butcher supply us with a case
of Black Angus Prime brisket. We had him age
it for us in his cooler for six weeks, the last one we cooked aged for 8 weeks.
To age it you store in a thermo controled
cooler, I believe it's at 40*. By aging the
meat has a stronger beef smell and flavor.
Normally you would find steaks aged, but to find age brisket is hard to do so you need to plan ahead.
Jim

Jim, I appreciate your response. Just to be sure some folks do not get in "meat trouble", do you age it in the bag or out of the bag. Bag, I mean most of us buy it in the plastic vacuum-sealed bag. I would assume you would age it out of the bag, but just to make sure. Also, if I were going to do this, and I will, I would have a good butcher do it for me.

Take care.

The Complete Meat Cookbook by Bruce Aidells & Denis Kelly has a good discussion of dry and wet aging of beef on pages 90-91

Dry aging is done by keeping it unwrapped under refrigeration (below 36*F but above freezing) for extended periods of time, increasing its tenderness because natural enzymes are released that help soften the connective tissue in the muscles. A great deal of moisture evaporates (there may be as much as a 20 percent weight loss), concentrating the flavor.

Some butchers store their beef at 36*F in its original vacuum pack for two weeks. This form of wet aging will help to tenderize the meat by the same enzymatic processes involved in dry-aging. But because wet-aging involves no loss of moisture, there is no concentration of flavor.

Aging is suitable only for the highest grades of beef (Prime or Choice). It should be done only in a professional refrigerator under the supervision of a butcher.

[This message has been edited by Chris Allingham (edited 06-03-2000).]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back