Can't find Weber starter cubes

Steve M.

TVWBB Fan
Last year about this time, I learned about these nifty starter cubes for the chimney, won't ever go back. So easy and effective.

Problem is, now I go to Lowes and Home Depot and they don't even seem to carry them anymore - at least not in the Nashville area. Amazon has them for $3/box + shipping. Ouch! Last resort.

Are you still able to find them? Hope they aren't being discontinued.

Your help appreciated in advance.

You can always make your own (seriously).

Combine melted wax and sawdust in a egg crate (use the paper, not the styrofoam). You can add a small wick, but it should not be needed as the sawdust should light.

I swear it works.

My local Home Depot still has them for around $2.50 a box. Our Lowes had them on closeout all summer for .81 so I really stocked up.
Hopefully you can find some available. They really are nice to have.

Go check the bathroom for some cotton balls and vaseline. Dredge a cotton ball in vaseline (coat it liberally). You can several in a 35mm film canister. One should burn for 10 minutes. I use these to light campfires when I go backpacking because they weigh almost nothing and are more or less waterproof.

OK..... now you guys have me thinking. What about the small diameter (3/4"-1") firestarter logs? Could I cut those into 1" "cubes" and use one of them?

Jay - dopey me! I'm a Scout leader and have had the boys do this for advancements. Guess it's a classic "can't see the forest for the trees" syndrone.

Just out of curriosity, what makes these cubes better than 2 sheets of crumpled newspaper? I have never tried the cubes, but newspaper seems to work great....

Thanks,
-Matt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve M.:
OK..... now you guys have me thinking. What about the small diameter (3/4"-1") firestarter logs? Could I cut those into 1" "cubes" and use one of them? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, I've done this. Just cut off a chunk and light it. Works fine.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matthew Appler:
What makes these cubes better than 2 sheets of crumpled newspaper? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Some people don't like the ash that can fly around after newspaper burns. See How To Use A Chimney Starter for examples of alternative lighting methods..scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Regards,
Chris

Joe, Now is the time.
icon_smile.gif
Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phil Smith:
I am with you Matt, The Sunday times works GREAT !!!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm always looking for new cool ways to use my grill/smoker toys! However, it is a REALLY nice service that 2-3 local newspapers deliver chimney starter to my door every week without me having to order it. I'm not sure why I'm so lucky, but it seems like my whole neighborhood has this service! If I run out, I just have to go look on my driveway and typically they have delivered more.

-Matt

Dude on another site told me how to make yer own. He's even got pics on his site.

He sez just melt paraffin and mix 2 parts sawdust to 1 part wax and form in a paper egg carton. When cooled cut the individual egg cups apart and then in half. A whole egg cup burns 12-13 minutes and a half burns about 7 minutes.

Keri, did they work as you recall? I was never a scout (tho my sister was a blue bird---they sold peanuts in that cool tin can that you needed to open with that cool key).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matthew Appler:
Just out of curriosity, what makes these cubes better than 2 sheets of crumpled newspaper? I have never tried the cubes, but newspaper seems to work great....

Thanks,
-Matt <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In addition to the ash that Chris mentioned, newspaper gives off a lot of smoke (more than the WSM when it's off and running, anyhow). Believe it or not, my neighbors don't dig this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Art B:

Thanks,
-Matt <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In addition to the ash that Chris mentioned, newspaper gives off a lot of smoke (more than the WSM when it's off and running, anyhow). Believe it or not, my neighbors don't dig this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah. When my new neighbor moved in the other weekend, I was firing the starter up to start a cook. She asked me if it was something to keep the bugs away. I had to explain that it only smoked and smelled that way until the newspaper was gone. A very short time. But it still made me conscious of the smell and smoke during subsequent lightings.

Back