Reports of Oversized Top Cooking Grates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
There have been two reports from new WSM purchasers that the top cooking grate shipped with their unit is too large.

The top grate should fit easily within the diameter of the middle cooking section, sitting flat on the bracket supports just below the lip where the lid meets the middle section.

If your top grate does not fit properly, call Weber Customer Support at 800-446-1071 and explain the situation. They are now aware of this situation, but may not know the extent of the problem. They are sending replacement grates to those who call.

If you contact Weber, please post a reply to this message to let us know how they respond.

[This message has been edited by Chris Allingham (edited 04-21-2000).]

I'm one of those new WSM owners who got the extra large top grill (actually, they sent me two top grills in addition to the lower one). I called Weber customer service this afternoon and I'm supposed to get a new top grill in the next 7-10 days. They seemed aware of the problem because they didn't question me about it at all. I sure was glad it was that easy.

Still, even with the oversized grill, the WSM sure helped me smoke some good pork butts last weekend!
smile.gif

I just got my WSM yesterday and put it together within 10 Min. Everything fit perfectly together no wobble or oversized grates. It came directly from WEBER and I picked it up at my Industrial Supply Store "GASPRO". I had all my parts no shorts no extras, and like I said everything fit perfectly, it even included a WSM cover!

Got the correct top grill by UPS
today. Got it quicker than they said
I could expect.
Nice customer service.
Jim

I'm glad I followed this thread. I checked my WSM this morning and lo and behold that grate does NOT sit on top of the straps. I was wondering about that when I assembled the cooker, but was preoccupied with the fact the middle section was out of round and not a perfect tight fit. (I fiddled with it and it is acceptable now, though I was hoping everything would be perfect and snug right out of the box)

I called Weber today and I was on the phone for quite a while with the customer service rep. He did not recognize the problem with me immediately, and though very helpful and pleasant I still had to explain the situation in detail.

Anyway, I will be getting my new grate. The rep thinks the problem might be that they packed the 18 1/2" grate for the Jumbo Joe grill instead of the 18" WSM grate. He suggested I take a mallet to the oversized part and try to make it fit, but I don't think so! The lid still fits so I can live with it for another week.

Bob in Boston

I received my new grate within a week, and sure enough it fits like a glove. Thanks Weber!

Any suggestions as to what to do with the almost-brand-new oversized grate?
Bob

Weber customer service should have replaced the middle section if it is out of round.
The rep that said you should have banged into
place with a mallet was mis informed.

I would reccomend calling weber and ask for it to be replaced.

As a preface to this post, please read my postings in the thread http://tvwbb.101inc.com/tvwbubb/Forum4/HTML/000039.html

I think how the out of round condition is handled depends on who you're talking to at Weber Customer Support. Some will send you a replacement, while in the case of my friend's WSM I was told we should contact Value America, the seller of the WSM. I think the Weber rep was correct in their belief that the out of round was the result of damage during shipping, but a no-questions-asked replacement would have been nice.

Now that I have used my WSM a few times the out of round condition has sort of "fixed itself".

I marked the best fit between bottom and middle before my first session and it is very snug. I still fiddle with the access door, striving for a more flush fit.

Bob

My door leaves a lot to be desired.

If I bend the sides for a tighter fit , it causes a gap in the top and bottom.

Steve

If you guys ever need parts under warranty let me know. Weber should never refer any
one back to the retailer. They are usually pretty good with stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back