SJP--leg extensions?

Mark B.

I have a SJP, and use it at home for charcoal grilling when I'm not smoking something on the WSM. I hate having to bend down to tend to the food. Has anyone giving some thought to adding removable legs to this unit? I've had some ideas, but just wondered what others had thought up. I've also considered a new OTG 22.5, but thought I should consider what I already have available, but I can always find a reason to buy another Weber.

icon_smile.gif
lol...after I wrote this I knew I'd get the response "how 'bout a table". I guess I'm looking for a less obvious solution, and in my case a more practical one. A lot of times a table is not around and I would like a grill that could stand on it's own without having to be on the ground....oh well...thought I'd give it a try. I like to modify when I see a need.

Originally posted by Mark B.:
icon_smile.gif
lol...after I wrote this I knew I'd get the response "how 'bout a table". I guess I'm looking for a less obvious solution, and in my case a more practical one. A lot of times a table is not around and I would like a grill that could stand on it's own without having to be on the ground....oh well...thought I'd give it a try. I like to modify when I see a need.
Well ..... if you take the lid off the wsm....you could have a sort of a table.
icon_wink.gif

timothy

i have to bring this back up. kettle ain't doin it for me. so i gotta think of something else. working on the pipe/insert leg thing. maybe folks got other ideas ?

George, What would be an ideal height for you? Also would you want the "extentions" permanent or removeable?

about normal kettle height. extensions have to be removable. been thinking more on this as i thought about designs and more or less decided that i could find a 18.5 silver kettle on craigs list cheaper than doing any mods. so i'm kinda backing away from the idea. havn't given up entirely but-----.

A while back, somebody asked about a cover for a SJ Silver. I suggested a big plastic bucket and then went out and bought one for my SJ Silver for $4 at Lowes. Now that wouldn't work as a table - its plastic - but what about a galvanized washtub kind of thing? Use it as a cover for the SJP when you're not using it. Sit the SJP on top of it when you're cooking??

I haven't been to the hardware store to see what size washtub would be needed or what it would cost, but it's an idea and maybe you could get the washtub off of CL before you find the 18.5 kettle!

Trying to think "outside of the kettle!"

Pat

pat, maybe a small galvanized trash can with lid. then the sj goes inside and lid goes on. now you can carry it, protect it, maybe room for some coals inside and a portable table. great idea. won't help the sjp but still a great answer for the sjs.

If you are just using it around home a 30 gal oil or grease drum with the top cut out will work.My friend down the street cooks everything on his.Even does pork roast ,ribs,steaks and burgers.He just sets his SJP on the top and fires it up.

Hmmmm - 30 gallon drum, SJP? I feel a ugly drum smoker project in the works!

Cut out one end - use the drum with the open side down and as a table for grilling. Flip it over and sit the SJP inside the drum (with the regular UDS holes for airflow) as a firebox, grill grate mounted inside and SJP lid as the lid for the smoker.

Wonder how close the size of the 30 gal drum is to the size of a SJP lid?

Pat

Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Hmmmm - 30 gallon drum, SJP? I feel a ugly drum smoker project in the works!

Cut out one end - use the drum with the open side down and as a table for grilling. Flip it over and sit the SJP inside the drum (with the regular UDS holes for airflow) as a firebox, grill grate mounted inside and SJP lid as the lid for the smoker.

Wonder how close the size of the 30 gal drum is to the size of a SJP lid?

Pat
A 30 gal drum is closer to an 18" kettle a 15 gal drum is the perfect fit to a SMJ lid.

well, i found a 18" kettle for $10 at a yard sale so i think the legs on the sjp are going on the back burner. oooo, i just got an idea ! i'll be back on this.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by george curtis:
well, i found a 18" kettle for $10 at a yard sale so i think the legs on the sjp are going on the back burner. oooo, i just got an idea ! i'll be back on this.
icon_smile.gif
Uh Oh!
icon_razz.gif

nice table mark. is the top metal ? i hope so. shaun. i kinda delayed me getting back. had a few ideas that did not pan out. i'm still of the thought that the 18.5 silver is the best bet. some cheap legs and yer good to go.

Originally posted by george curtis:
nice table mark. is the top metal ?

Thanks, was perfect size and adds the height so needed in suburbia
icon_smile.gif

Its a block of high-density polyethylene. So will hunt for a glass cover.

Back