Re-using Charcoal and Wood Remains

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

In an effort to be frugal (some might say cheap!), I have been sifting through the remains of the charcoal and woods used after every smoking and have been re-using the larger remaining pieces. I would appreciate a response from anyone with any information or thoughts concerning this practice especially since my wife has asked that I please ask the experts so as not to accidentally poison her children!

As far as I know, there is no problem associated with this practice. I've heard of quite a few folks who do it.

Regards,
Chris

John,

Whenever I use the WSM, I FILL the charcoal ring....any coals that are left after the cook, I just let them sit in the charcoal ring until the next cook...

Been doing that for several years.....and I'm still here!!!

Stogie

John,
I have been reusing charcoal from my Weber kettle for about 20 years and as Stogie said: I'm still here. Though the hair is grayer but I can't link that to the gray ash of charcoal.

Brian

I reuse mine. I think I'm still here. Reminds me of a dog I had years ago. I would go out mushroom hunting and all I knew that were safe was morels. Somebody told me you could eat puffballs also. So I went out to the woods and got me a couple. Well the wife wasn't sure if they was safe to eat or not so I fried up some and fed em to the dog. I waited a couple of hours and the dog never got sick so I fried up the rest and ate em myself. Never got the least bit sick, but didn't really care for em that much. I tried to get the dog to sniff out them morels as I can't find em to good. But all that damn dog would do is point out puffballs! and a blind man could see those big things.
Good Smokin'
Dan

To the best of my knowlege there is no problem with useing lefy over fuel. After the air has been cut off they simply die...ready to be used again. I like to mix about 1/3 used lump or charcoal with new for cookin on the kettle. Find i have great results. Also allows me to get true value for my fuel dollar. Must add that i would not start up the WSM with half spent fuel. but sure works great for grillin on the kettle.
Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back