Buying a Handle Assembly from Weber

Rich Langer

TVWBB Guru
On the sides of my WSM I have two garage door handles - perfectly functional, but a scosch bit ugly.

I wonder if one could buy a handle assembly from Weber - the two part grey handle, the screw that holds them together and THE METAL strap the is welded to the sides of the kettle or top of kettle, WSM, whatever.

I think that would look cool!

Or, if you know a metal fabricator (or Chris Finney
icon_wink.gif
), you could do it the way he did. (pics added lower in the post)
icon_smile.gif
Top knotch job!

Chris' Mod

Bill

I've got a Gold base with major problems - Its gonna go BUT before it does I may see about using a chisel on the welded on handles.

Then just have to drill some holes.

I fabricated metal straps for the Weber plastic handles. I obtained steel flat from a local hardware store. It was 1/2-inch wide by 1/8-inch thick. At my local hardware store (Orchard Supply Hardware - OSH) it comes in 2 and 4 foot lengths. I removed the top WSM plastic lid handle and used the welded holder as a pattern. I used a bench vise, ball peen hammer, hack saw and electric drill to make the handle holder. I used the existing WSM grill bolts as mounts for the handles. The original handle strap holder is a little thinner than 1/8-inch, so you have to do a little filing inside the plastic handle to make a good fit.

WSM with plastic Weber side handles

Have 2 WSM's and I don't have handles on either. Starting to think they might be kinda handy after all. Thinking about checking at my local home store in their hinge and knob section for kitchen cabinets and getting something a little more sportier looking than the galvanized garage handles. A couple of stainless or chrome knobs might foot the bill.

I believe Rusty is right, you will have to do a little fabricating in order to use the replacement handles. They look real nice on his WSM, as well as functional. Nice clean mod Rusty, I like it.

Dino, the only downside of this mod is the vinyl cover that comes with the WSM no longer fits. The handles stick out too far. A 22-1/2 Weber kettle cover should fit, however.

I too built and installed handles similar to the ones on my kettle. I'm now going to redo them with angle clips bolted to my WSM and hinge pins to the handle bracket so the handles can be folded down when not in use to get my cover to fit.

I installed mine horizontal near the top as opposed to vertical like Rusty's

I made mine out of SST so I wouldn't have any rusting problems.

MikeZ

Thanks to Rusty and Mike! I would have probably mounted a couple of handles without ever thinking about the covers.

Back