WSM Mishap

jgabbard

Hello everyone.

Friday afternoon, my buddy and I head down the interstate to attend a contest in the small town of Springfield, KY. We have our big pit, "Layla" being pulled behind the truck and the bed of the truck loaded down with tables, boxes, wood, etc. We decided when we loaded everything up that we would take my WSM to practice on over night while we use the big pit to cook the competition meat. We put the WSM in the back corner of the truck bed, fully assmbled and sitting upright. Big mistake. We get on the road and get within 1/2 mile of our exit and the dang lid flops off and hits the road. The impact busts the Tel-Tru thermometer, scuffs that bottom of the lid and chips the wood handle. I just about got sick when I saw it happen. I ran in the middle of the road and got the lid and put it inside of the cab of the truck. When we got set up at our competition, I fired up the WSM for a practice cook. Guess what? The lid fit fine and the thermometer once again pegged at 250 for no shorter than 8 hours without any encouragement. Wow.

So we do our gig, pack up and make sure to anchor the WSM down so it won't budge. I get home and to my surprise--it's missing the access door. D**N IT!!

Does anyone have similar stories?

Also--does anyone know what I can do to fix the dents and scratches on the lid so I make sure taht it doesn't rust? Can I fix the wood handle with wood putty???

I'll post pictures when I get a free moment.

I didnt secure my performer lid on the way home from a comp, my wife was following behind me with a car in between....guess what happened
icon_rolleyes.gif
I didnt even notice, but my wife said my pretty blue performer lid bounced off the hood of the car and she stopped to pick it up, so did the guy, but I guess he was pretty understanding. When I got home and jumped out of the truck my wife had that look (you freeking idiot) and I immediately looked in the back of the truck to see the lid missing......long story short, a replacement lid is ~50 and I havent got it done yet. It only suffered minor damage (bent the rim a little so it doesnt seal shut, and scratched it up) I'll replace it eventualy.

Brandon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
I didnt secure my performer lid on the way home from a comp, my wife was following behind me with a car in between....guess what happened
icon_rolleyes.gif
I didnt even notice, but my wife said my pretty blue performer lid bounced off the hood of the car and she stopped to pick it up, so did the guy, but I guess he was pretty understanding. When I got home and jumped out of the truck my wife had that look (you freeking idiot) and I immediately looked in the back of the truck to see the lid missing......long story short, a replacement lid is ~50 and I havent got it done yet. It only suffered minor damage (bent the rim a little so it doesnt seal shut, and scratched it up) I'll replace it eventualy.

Brandon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does she drive a tank? I can't imagine that the car didn't suffer more than $50 in damage. I had my kettle rotisserie attachment fall off the wall onto the wife's 2 month old van....that went over really well.

I guess I didnt really make it clear, there was a car between me and her (in the van) It must not have been much for a car because he aparently wasnt worried about repairing the damage.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Again the question is asked, how close do you follow behind a truck full of grills/smokers and gear
icon_wink.gif

Brandon

Back