Rotisserie on the 22.5" wsm

Brad Larsen

Chris, any idea if the Weber 2290 22-1/2-Inch Charcoal Kettle Rotisserie will fit on the new wsm?
It would be great way to increase cooking area without adding too much height.
It looks like adding an entire center section would require a step ladder to remove the lid.

I have a Rotisserie and Just got the 22 WSM and if you put it upside down it fits fine, only have to drill hole to re-align the spit rod. Hope this helps.

Bill, Bill, your killing me here, where are those pics of that fully operational 22in stacker death star of a smoker!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Comerford:
Need info how to post. Never did it b-4. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bill, Link for you.

My 22" arrived yesterday & is now fully assembled. The Weber rotisserie ring looks to work if mounted upside down (as others have mentioned), with some new holes drilled for the spit, et al. Placed the cylinder on the Performer, with the rotisserie ring on top. Total height appears to be approximately 6 feet.
A small pig or lamb may be able to be hung from the spit rod down into the cylinder, after taking all the grills out...will send this idea off to the R&D dept. for engineering specs. Need step-stool to access this silo. Off to buy some needed hardware, and another charcoal grate to wire to the charcoal ring.

Been too busy to finish the rotisserie mod as yet...working to get the 22" Bullet cylinder mounted on the Performer kettle first. Need to borrow a friend's stepped drillbit to cut the appropriate holes in the rotiserrie ring for the 'upside-down' mount. Maybe EZ-Que has a model that would fit without the mod? Don't know, and the EZ-Que model I wanted is 'sold-out'.

Anyone else notice that the charcoal grate in the 22" bullet (slightly larger) is a different model than the 22" kettle? I'll wire a new grate onto the charcoal ring to double them up, as on the 18" Bullet. Hope Weber gets a 'store-site' up soon....parts, et al.

It's finally raining here, so down-tiem to be used for modding...

I am very interested in this thread and idea as well. I have been happily using my WSM for several years, but would like more capacity and a rotisserie.

Spent a short amount of time modifying the Weber rotisserie ring to interface with the 22"
WSM. (Sorry no pix, as yet). The first smoke was 2 chickens mounted upright on tower stands, with a rack of St. Louis cut ribs spinning above. Some observations: a WSM heats somewhat inconsistently in the first 2-3 cooks when new (my 18" did the same thing). I cooked the birds and the ribs 4 hours...although the temps went as high as 290, and I shoot for the 250 ideal, they could have been pulled a half hour earlier. One possible issue is the additional holes in the ring (with the upside -down mounting) caused more of an updraft in the airflow that affected the temp range. I'm using foil to plug the holes for now. Also, having the 22" WSM mounted on a Weber Performer left some experimentation on the air controls.

Since then, I used the rotiserrie to spin a beef tenderloin roast...no water pan, no racks.
The temp range was 290-300...the roast came out a perfect rare-red to the edge in about 30 minutes. Did the same thing with some tri-tips, but foil-wrapped the water pan (but no water) to bring the temps down slightly (260-275), and minimize the fat dripping into the fire. The tri-tips came out medium rare red after 35 minutes. The WSM is very consistent in temps right now, and the operator has learned the right air settings for various heat ranges. The 22" consumes more fuel than the 18", but that's to be expected. For ISD (May 23rd) I plan to do a variety of things...chicken, ribs, sausages, and bacon for starters...something on the rotisserie. The Bullet rarely fires up when bacon doesn't fill one of the layers...the 22" will easily do a lb. of thick sliced on the top rack. Spread a thin layer of raspberry chipotle BBQ sauce on one side when the strips are almost done...we call it 'dessert bacon'...

Was wondering if any of you would like to post a pic of the mod here and maybe some instructions on what you did. Thanks

Back