SJP "solution" - has anyone tried this?

Rick O'Neil

Hi all - I'm going to the beach in 2 weeks and will be making a pulled pork. I was going to buy the SJP - but keep reading about all the airflow problems. I could buy one and do one of the suggested mods but will never get it done by the trip.
My question: Has anyone ever bought an 18 inch one touch gold and just shortened the legs? Or better yet, had two sets of legs - one for travel and one for standard home use? Will this work???

Somebody just did this - he posted pics on the forum about a week ago.

If you're going to do that, just take the legs off the OTS and put the legs in when you get to the beach instead of shortening them.

Also, I've talked to Chris Perres, the co-owner of Cajun Bandit, about buying a pair of CB legs to put onto the bottom of my 18" OTS to make it a "shorty." We're going to see if they fit the next time I go to Huntsville.

You've got lots of options, including the option of using the SJP (if you can find one) as us and using the charcoal banking techniques shown on the forum.

Good luck!

Pat

Pat, make sure to post a follow up if the CB legs fit an 18" kettle. I've been wondering ever since I got my bandit. The 22" is a little big to throw in the trunk, but an 18" would be perfect for travel.

Back