?? for maiden voyage

kurt k.

Hi everyone, great site!

Just picked up my wsm 18.5" last night - she's beauty. I also ordered some bear claws and a thermapen.

Anyway, i am going to do the beginners pulled chicken recipe on Saturday night for the first cook. We are having a few people over for the Colts game, so i wanted to break the grill in right.

to the question - can i put chicken on the bottom rack and the top rack? I have never used a smoker with out water in the bowl - I feel like a rookie smoker all over again!

Thanks

Kurt

Yes, Kurt you can use both grates or even add a third one if you want to; check out the home page mods section
icon_smile.gif
...congrats on the new WSM..it'll bring you a lotta fun and satisfaction in the years to come
wsmsmile8gm.gif

That's what i thought, but i wanted to be sure as we are having 8-10 people over.

Clay pot?? Don't know anything about a clay pot. my current plan was to wrap foil around the bowl and place the bowl in the wsm empty.

I don't know the "beginners pulled chicken recipe" but I assume it's a low and slow cook. On a first cook with a new WSM I might consider using a heat sink or you may have a **** of a time keeping your temps down (and even with a heat sink some have challenges). I'm a clay saucer guy myself.

Once you've got your WSM nice and gunked-up it will be easier to maintain the lower temps. My .02

You can do chickens on both levels. The one thing I'd do, though, is switch them up halfways through. It's hotter on the top rack, so you want even cooking on all birds. Also, you switch up the dripping. The top bird drips juices on the bottom ones, so you want to spread the love.

Hopefully the two weeks resting the starters doesn't screw up the Colts. I'm sure Peyton will be ready.

Thanks for all the help! The chicken turned out great. I ended up doing bbq chicken as listed in the beginner section. Everyone loved the chicken and the Colts played great.

Now off looking for the the next thing to smoke in the wsm.

Hey Kurt, I use a couple of foil lined bricks in my water pan as a heatsink and they work fine. No water = Less mess!

Back