Saucisson of Pork Tenderloin

In case the recipe link ever goes bad...

Regards,
Chris

---

Saucisson of Pork Tenderloin
from Chez Jacques
yield: 2 sausages

Saucisson of Pork Tenderloin Saucisson, a dried sausage of the salami type, is usually made with pork in France. There are dozens of different kinds of saucisson in the markets throughout the country, some smoked, some made only with pork, some made with a mixture of pork and beef, and some containing lamb. Years ago in Lyon, a special dried sausage used to be made from a combination of donkey meat and pork.

I have made saucisson through the years, putting the meat in casings, drying the sausages out on the porch or in the refrigerator. I have made them small, long, and fat as well as skinny. When stuffing the mixture by hand into pork casings, there are often pockets of air, and the saucisson gets dark spots as it dries out.

A few years ago at a market in Provence, I saw sliced saucisson that looked like thinly sliced, very lean prosciutto, and I realized that it was done with a whole pork tenderloin. This is what I have been making ever since. It is easy to make, the meat dries beautifully, and it is the leanest dried sausage one can have.

Buy the largest pork tenderloins you can find at the market, ones that weigh a pound or more. I cut about three inches off the tails and sauté these end pieces for dinner. The rest of the fillet should be about two inches in diameter and close to a foot long.

Remove any silver skin from 2 pork tenderloins, each about 1 pound, and cut 2 to 3 inches off the tails, reserving them for another use. Put 1 cup of kosher salt in a plastic storage bag (or use ½ cup of Morton Tender Quick Curing Salt, which has a curing agent that keeps the meat beautifully pink). Add 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar to the salt in the bag, and mix well. Slide the tenderloins into the bag, close tightly, and shake to coat the meat with the salt mixture. Refrigerate overnight. After 12 hours or so, remove the tenderloins from the bag, and wipe them dry with paper towels. Rub the meat with about 1 tablespoon of cognac, and sprinkle on about 1 tablespoon of cracked black pepper and 1 tablespoon of herbes de Provence, dividing these ingredients between the two tenderloins.

Wrap each piece of meat in a cotton cloth to protect it from insects, tie it with kitchen twine, and hang in an area where there is good air circulation, like a cellar with a window that can be opened, or a porch. This is best done in cooler weather, but if that is not the case, place the tenderloins in your refrigerator on a rack where the air can circulate around them.

The tenderloins will dry out in five to six weeks. I like them when they are still a little soft, not too dry. Slice them very thin, and enjoy with bread and butter and a glass of cool wine.

Excerpted from Chez Jacques
Copyright © 2007 by Jacques Pepin. All rights reserved.

I have tried this a few times and a few different ways over the past few months. The biggest piece of advice I have for this is that 5-6 weeks is 3-4 weeks too long. These guys are ready after ~2 weeks.

Yeah I've had that problem too where it got a little to dry. Truthfully though I can't keep myself away from it while it is drying. The smell of the herbs mixed with the cognac is wonderful. I don't think that I have ever let them go longer than 3 weeks. A buddy of mine tried it with one of those Hatfield tenderloins that had already been injected with a salt solution. On its own a little to salty, but with a slice of brie on top of a baguette and it still was really good. Next up is the bresaola from Charcuterie.

I guess I'll have to start posting pictures.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back